Inflatable tube man dances to Cream's "Glad"

26 Responses to “Inflatable tube man dances to Cream's "Glad"”

1. ill lich says:

Skip James ripped off Cream!?? Man! EVERYBODY Ripped of Cream, Willie Dixon with “Spoonful”, Robert Johnson with “Crossroads”, Albert King with “Born Under a Bad Sign”– those guys should sue!!

2. KurtMac says:

Awesome video. Whenever I see one of these, or a giant inflatable gorilla/godzilla/clown outside a car dealership, I always ask “Do those things really drive business?” Is there a large population of consumers on the streets, minding their own business, when all of a sudden they think “Well, I was just going to pick up some milk, but seeing that neon-green, flailing inflatable tube man convinced me to buy a new Pontiac instead.”

3. Not a Doktor says:

I like the green ones around here that look like cactii. They remind me of those one enemies from Final Fantasy

4. kateq says:

This reminds me of the advert for Toohey’s beer, where Tube Men hijack a beer delivery truck and have a street party to the sweet, sweet sounds of Tom Jones “Help Yourself”.

See here:

5. Loser707 says:

so wow this made me happy thanks for posting this

6. squib says:

That was great – he sure looked glad

7. Takuan says:

Mescalito…good to see you again

8. Andrew says:

Anyone for tennis? Wouldn’t that be nice?

9. mr.skeleton says:

There use to be a small tube man in downtown SF on Market, near the 7-11. One day it whipped down and smacked me in the face. I thought it knocked off my glasses and I immediately searched the ground— realizing, of course, that my glasses were still on my face. Some guy in a suit laughed.

I was ATTACKED by a tube man, and vowed to never forgive him or his inflatable brethren. Until just now because that was a joyous video.

10. nrkn says:

Takuan, you are a star. I hardly ever post a comment, but every time I read them, there you are. Totally commendable level of commitment. I almost wonder if there is some secret prize of which you are aware and I am not for being the most promiscuous comment poster. Mad respect.

11. laramie says:

Intergalactic Proton-Powered Electrical-Tentacled Advertising Droids!

12. Jerry Kindall says:

Hi, I’m Al Harrington, President and CEO of Al Harrington’s Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man Emporium and Warehouse on Route 2 in Weekapaug, and I approve this video.

13. alisong76 says:

Pipenta, if you look closely you can see that this one does have a face: I’m guessing the vid maker didn’t want the advertising on the front side to be discernable.

14. themindfantastic says:

Not as fun, but interesting nonetheless AIR SUBWAY MONSTER… when the train comes in it blows air up into the inflatable nessie like creature on the surface

15. Lex10 says:

Since I’m the video maker, let me say a few things:

1. If you’re in need, I’m for hire.
    2. The face was not deliberately avoided, but the angle I shot from was the only one where I could get no land and only sky – the effect to me is one of an invertebrate, such as a sea cucumber or anemone.
    3. I worked to get the timing to match very diligently, but in three instances during editing I didn’t have to do anything. I used to use Mozart a lot in my earlier commercial productions, and stuff just matched I think this because:
    a)we expect it
    b)the brain constructs it
    4. Takuan, you made me laugh.
    5. Yes I am for hire – liberate me and I will reward you with compelling semiotics that move stand still and somewhere in between.
    6. I shoulda said all this earlier but I was out of town – new Tijuana pix at http://glyphjockey.com
    7. THANKS FOR ALL THE KIND WORDS

16. Pipenta says:

I love these things. I love that they don’t have faces.

The air subway monster is just as cool. It simply needs a good soundtrack. Something of the same vintage as “Glad”? But instrumental…

How about Hot Tuna’s “The Water Song”?

17. ike says:

#5 KATEQ, #14 THEMINDFANTASTIC: thanks for posting those links! When I saw this post I was reminded of the Toohey’s video but couldn’t remember how to find it, and I remember hearing about the inflating subway-grate art, but I never got around to checking it out before.

18. Piper says:

Gary? Is that you?

19. Cupcake Faerie says:

Ãœber-wack-tastic!

20. padster123 says:

I saw Underworld at the Camden Roundhouse a few months ago, and they had a whole bunch of giant turgid inflatable tubey things with lights in them at the back of the stage. Pretty effective!

21. arttoys says:

@#15

Perfect! I LOVE that song!

22. Michael Leddy says:

Let’s give credit where it’s due: “I’m So Glad” is by Skip James. It’s his 1931 recording that’s heard at the beginning of this clip. James also created “Hard Time Killin’ Floor Blues,” which readers might know from O Brother, Where Art Thou?

23. Antinous says:

I guess after thirty years I should just accept that the acid flashbacks are never really going to stop.

24. FarrisGoldstein says:

Anyone else ever hear “Astroglide!” instead of “I’m so glad?”

25. Sister Y says:

Those things are so cool – they seem to dance perfectly in rhythm with any music, from Cream to Boris to Holst to NWA. Any rhythm theorists know why that is?

26. NidSquid says:

Wonderful. Makes me … ummm, well … GLAD! :-)