Ukulele Blitzkrieg Bop

20 Responses to “Ukulele Blitzkrieg Bop”

1. Birdguy says:

My ukulele group used to play Blitzkrieg Bop as a regular feature (the chords we used are here. We played it in a more restrained fashion, a bit like the Yo La Tengo surf guitar cover.

2. MiceHead says:

I personally love (and have been listening to incessantly) their version of “Are Friends Electric?”

I’m collecting covers of this song. I also like Information Society’s version:

But they don’t use ukuleles, of course.

3. flosofl says:

What a fun version!

Well, now I know what I’m doing with my “stimulus” rebate check next week. Buy myself a Uke!

Just doing my part…

4. Tommy says:

It’s a testament to the Ramones that the song rocks, even on ukulele.

5. Wingo says:

Totally. F-ing. Awesome.

I have a Uke that I’ve never played. I guess it’s time to put some strings on that baby…

6. Otter says:

Did somebody say Yo La Tengo? Love this version.

7. the man who was thursday says:

Look for the ukulele orchestra of great britain

Their versions of punk classics are brilliant, but the deadpan cover of Je’taime wins hands down

8. Foolster41 says:

This is pretty cool. Makes me want to try to learn this, though my fingers are probibly not quick enough.

9. sandyfeet says:

Our uke group (the Saturn Street Strummers of SPI) plays pirate songs in pirate gear and we are quite formidable if I do say so myself (and I do.) This seems like a natural to add to our cover set.

Arggghh!

10. mh says:

This is great!

My daughter is a uke fan as well. Check her work out here:

and

11. texasroute66 says:

Thanks again, Gus and Fin!

12. ClownX says:

This postulates, nay, proves that the next Rock Band needs a ukulele peripheral. EA is eating all of my money.

13. LSK says:

I love ‘ukuleles! I’ve been working on a version of “Mr. Self Destruct” by Trent Reznor.

14. so1omon says:

I’ve got my Cordoba on my lap right now. I always love seeing people having fun with my favorite instrument. Everyone should play ukulele… they’re cheap, and easy to learn enough to play some tunes on.

I do have some concern that the ukulele’s newfound popularity is a mixed blessing. People still seem to think of the ukulele as primarily a novelty instrument. Unfortunately, my own music doesn’t do a great deal to change people mind of that fact… It’s a dilemma.

I won’t whore out my music here… that just feels wrong. I will say that The Bittersweet Way on MySpace is haphazard, abbreviated pop songs that will bring a smile to your face. I am a whore.

15. Takuan says:

I want to see street gangs with ukuleles hanging around my neighbourhood intimidating the hiphop brats

16. Maddy says:

George Harrison was a big fan of Ukes, and even supposedly received oral goodness from a call girl while playing his Uke (source: You’ll Never Make Love in this Town Again) …

17. TedJohnson says:

The ukulele was the gateway drug for me.

I got a uke from my grandma for Christmas when I was five or six years old. But I never really tried to learn to play it, or any instrument until I was 15.

It was 1977, and I wanted to be in a Punk band. The uke was the only instrument I had around the house, so I started Punking out, playing Sex Pistols and Buzzcocks songs.

18. Fnarf says:

Yeah, George was OK on the uke, but if you really want to hear something track down some Eddie Kamae, especially his stuff with Gabby Pahinui in Sons of Hawaii.

19. JavaJunkie says:

Good Job!!! Good Stuff! Good times, good time. :)