CauseCaller -- one-click to create a virtual phone-bank

13 Responses to “CauseCaller -- one-click to create a virtual phone-bank”

1. velocity girl says:

#1>

Yeah, if this gets popular, then phone calls will end up having as much value as emails or online petitions, which are pretty easy to set up thanks to Facebook and that kind of thing.

Now if you could set up Cause Caller to handle pre-recorded messages, I could see it being a VERY useful tool… Harassing politicians connected with a particular issue with a simple click of a button? It may not do much for democracy, but it would be a great stress-buster…

2. themagus says:

i read this a few times but have no idea what its about…

3. Jeff says:

Themagus, what I got out of it was that this application will allow you to communicate with your state and federal reps to effect some outcome that I think is specific to the individual using this “petitioning ware.” But I might be totally off base.

4. Antinous says:

Don’t you all get political phone blasts all the time?

5. BaS says:

@1 “Now if one could automate a handwritten letter.”

I’m sure if you really tried you could find a way, it’d most likely involve creating a bank of fonts made of people’s handwritten alphabet with a special character symbolizing signatures and addresses, and some sort of programming, (all the respect in the world for you people who know how to program, I have zero of that knowledge and stare blankly at my husband and others when they talk of it), to automate a copy/paste with the font switch and send it to print. Package all the print outs and mail them together or individually and voila, handwritten letters.

6. ck says:

Ingenius, yes, but I shudder to think what will happen if this falls into the wrong hands and it is used on the public by Verizon, Comcast, all the major telecoms, the companies immune to the no-call-list. I can see it now. The sales pitch goes “With CauseCaller telemarketing is such a breeze! And costs the (huge corporate conglomerate) nothing to operate!”

7. Capn Barcode says:

ck@10: Exactly my concern. On the one hand, it supports participation in government, which is good. On the other hand, it’s Web 2.0 for phone spam, which is evil. Although, what’s the worst thing that could happen? Politicians will phone screen and learn to ignore certain classes of calls, just like we do every day at home. If the database is turned on “the people”, I’ll just get more calls on my answering machine that I can safely ignore. So this is probably an overall positive. Unless it gets used for a distributed denial of phone service attack… oh, where’s my unicorn? I NEED A UNICORN!!

8. UltraBob says:

This seems like the start of a great tool for putting pressure on the Democratic Super Delegates to make up their minds so that we don’t end up with a Jowls McBush presidency. That tool is something that we are in dire need of right now. Those people really need to start feeling the pressure.

9. scottfree says:

See, but congressmen and women receive complaints all the time. Why doesn’t anyone ever phone just to talk? It isn’t always about /you/, you know.

10. yish says:

The power of a campaign is proportional to the mount of human effort that goes into it. Internet petitions are pointless, because everyone knows each signature is worth 15 man/seconds. This, on the other hand, makes it possible for dedicated individuals to have a targeted impact. It does not replace human effort, it just focuses it like a laser beam. ingenious.

11. FutureNerd says:

The similarity between democracy and spam is deeper than I thought.

12. jetsetsc says:

As these things get more and more automated, the value of a call becomes less and less. Now if one could automate a handwritten letter. But nice work in any case.
    -j

13. mullingitover says:

They should just eliminate the human factor altogether and make an app that robo-calls politicans. That would be beautiful.