Adorable tiny hog species saved from extinction

10 Responses to “Adorable tiny hog species saved from extinction”

1. richard schumacher says:

Whether they survive kinda depends on the people eating them. The tasty Oman Arabian oryx, for example, is about to go extinct in the wild again after re-introduction in the 1980s.

2. IWood says:

Mmmm…miniature bacon…

3. jennybean42 says:

Yeah, wow, why does this creature make me think “mmmmm… that would be GREAT with honey mustard?”

4. hellhead says:

Bacon bits.

5. Talia says:

They’re so cute, I could just squeal.

6. alally says:

Yumm.. rock cornish game pigs!!

7. moustache says:

This little guy reminds me of the “Mystery Creature photographed in Seattle” post from last year. Although I highly doubt that one of these could have gotten from the Himalayas to the northwest United States, the resemblance is still startling.

8. Enochrewt says:

Could an animal look any more like it was going to be prey in the wild than this little guy?

9. Michael Brutsch says:

“the descendents of those surviving hogs are being reintroduced to their natural habit at the foot of the Himalayas”, whereupon they were immediately eaten by eagles, dogs, and local natives.

10. David Carroll says:

#1 an’ a #2:

Actually becoming a popular human food source might be the best thing that ever happened to these varmints. I mean how many chickens and cows are there in the world now? How many would their be if we didn’t like to eat them?

Now I know that livestock are commonly bred to the point that they could not fend for themselves, but co-dependency is a common survival strategy in nature.

For you vegans out there, having pygmy hogs as much loved pets would accomplish the same thing.

For those of you way down the bell curve who feel that having pets is a form of slavery, I guess we will have to agree to disagree…