Boris Artzybasheff's Machinalia illustrations

11 Responses to “Boris Artzybasheff's Machinalia illustrations”

1. Takuan says:

thanks Jed! You put a name to some of the images I’d stored and lost. Artzybasheff! In my mind, I’d ascribed a few to Escher. Thanks again.

2. Charlie says:

He also did a great series of ads for the Lycoming corporation in the 1950′s. I’ve posted them on my site:

3. mokudan says:

Other posters have mentioned both Escher and Woodring…those are exactly the two who came to mind when I saw this! Very cool.

4. Avram says:

And, as I see from following Mark’s Amazon link, Artzybasheff’s As I See is coming back into print! Talk about burying the lede!

5. jonom says:

The book coming from Titan is the Ken’s Publishing version but properly printed instead of on-demand (colour laser).

I reset the type for Ken before he shipped it off to Titan.

6. Takuan says:

Thanks Charlie, great stuff!

7. Stefan Jones says:

This is great stuff. The machines are like . . . golems, maybe? Domestic animals?

I particularly like the faces of the soaking pit covers, shown above.

8. reallyexcellentdude says:

reminds me of woodring

9. Enochrewt says:

Ok, wtf. Who wouldn’t want to see machines do the work instead of slaves?

That being said, slick stuff.

10. Jed Alexander says:

Artzybasheff is a much overlooked treasure. He left a legacy of amazing illustration. He’s also done a number of beautiful Time covers—More stuff here:

Also “As I See” has fallen into the public domain, and before Titan brought it back, this guy was keeping it alive:

he charges a little more, but his operation is worth supporting. He’s trying to keep a lot of long out of print illustration books available on an print-on-demand basis.

11. Takuan says:

any place I’ve worked or seen, there isn’t much anthro-animistic machine art. You go painting eyes on the excavator and one day you start thinking it’ll run itself or not hit you like a friendly draft animal. Or you start making sacrifices to it.
    Ships is different, them you want to take care of you.