The Ladybird Book of The Policeman updated by jokester

18 Responses to “The Ladybird Book of The Policeman updated by jokester”

1. License Farm says:

This is similar to Jason Yungbluth’s ZOGG, remixing a kids book into something more depraved.

2. amoebaboy says:

i saw this on b3ta a few weeks back, love it !

3. mellowknees says:

this is freaking brilliant, and I only wish I had thought of it first.

4. Xopher says:

I love this.

Wow. Fixed the typo before I could report it. Curses foiled again and all that.

5. Daemon says:

Hmm. Down at the bottom, one of the other sample books refers to ASBO. I looked it up… turns out to be a freakish UK law whereby if somebody does something antisocial (say, graffiti) the court can make it illegal for them, and only them, to, for example, carry spraypaint.

Apparently they are open ended in terms of what behaviors the court is allowed to ban, and the course is allowed to accept hearsay as evidence.

6. Garconniere says:

rosethornn, yeah, i agree in the first case. obviously the intent is humourous barbs at the sorts of homophobia/sexism/transphobia that happens in the military… but in the case of the one with the dog it just comes off as “ooo hahaha men who dress up as women are dangerous haha blackie bite its face off!”

at least to me.

7. rosethornn says:

#3

I didn’t find it particularly transphobic. The dog bit maybe, but I think the Barbara one was sympathetic if anything. It highlighted transphobia in the police; that was the joke, afaik.

8. Garconniere says:

i thought it was quite amusing until they kept on resorting to transphobic jokes every time a woman is in a scene… i never knew that big dogs named Blackie hated transvestites.

i do love old children’s books, but 1940s-50s “getting to know your changing body” ones will always be my favourite. full of laughs and no need for doctoring!

9. historyman68 says:

No two people are not on fire.

10. Enochrewt says:

Some of this is hilarious, like the police dog specially trained to find lorrie drivers dressed as women. And the 66 foot tall policeman. Some of it’s heartbreaking, like the picture posted above and the post-op transsexual policewomen and her being teased by others.

11. Modusoperandi says:

On the one hand, it’s amusing and lightly satirical.

On the other…could you be a cop? I couldn’t. All they take is crap from people (even the good cops). “If I hear one more person try to weasel out of a moving violation…”

12. LYNDON says:

Bit of trivia – an actual policeman in New Zealand was briefly suspended for forwarding this around in May:

13. Stefan Jones says:

Anyone have any ideas on how to remove chewed-up spat-out bits of carrot from a keyboard?

Anyone?

Bueller?

14. Takuan says:

on a completely random note; my choice for official BB Comments theme song:

15. Simeon says:

There’s a site where you can buy blow ups of the artwork in the old Ladybird books:

16. Brand Logician says:

Witty.

i’m pretty sure this is a bit of banksey guerilla art similar to his paris hilton cd thing. i saw it for sale on ebay a little while ago and i’m sure it has his signature/tag on one of the pages there, although i can’t see it on this copy

18. ployntabs says:

I like the way it puts a human face on law enforcement.