soccer-goofs.jpg
Jeffrey Martin says:
I was on my way out of Zurich yesterday, and just had to make a panorama of this giant squad of footballers (some still with missing buttocks - don't worry there's another delivery truck on the way) but I got accosted and harassed by a couple of snivelling beastly rent-a-cops. They touched my camera, they started man-handling me, all of it was completely ridiculous. Any illegal activity was in fact being committed by them. In the name of who you might ask? Adidas, apparently, didn't want any photos of its masterpiece before the 10:00 press conference. Never mind the hundreds of mobile phone cameras snapping away for days, and at the same moment they were pushing me around.... Luckily some real cops came, found the situation to be quite silly, and allowed me to finally walk away without these mean guards putting their hands on me. Thank you, Swiss Police, for protecting me from the Zurich Main Station security guards!
Link

13 Responses to “Harassed by rent-a-cops in Zurich for photographing soccer statues”

1. raisedbywolves says:

People who work for the Bahnhofspolizei in most cities are usually the kind of mean, incompetent fuckers who wanted to be real policemen but failed the test.

So yeah, this story doesn’t surprise me in the least.

2. Master of Space and Time says:

Just so you know guys…but the rest of Europe has a problem with the french soccer team who is mainly black…

3. POLOMOCHE says:

The Swiss should be worrying about their match with the Czech Republic.

4. Sean Grimm says:

Coincidentally, BBC News has a photo of these guys in their ‘Week in Pictures’ for this week. I wonder if their photographer got any harassment.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/7440007.stm (picture number 10)

5. Todd Sieling says:

Gawd I’m starting to get a real dislike of rent-a-cops.

6. Michael Geary says:

@IoError: Well, you see, Jeffrey has a digital SLR! With a wide angle lens! And… A monopod!

Obviously, someone with sinister intentions.

The BBC guy probably got away with it by not using a monopod or tripod…

7. Michael Geary says:

Oh wow, one of the security guys is in the panorama (follow the link in the article). He’s in front of the Tourist Service office. Check out the friendly look on his face!

8. Antinous says:

Check out the friendly look on his face!

The word ‘gormless’ comes to mind.

9. Takuan says:

always good to travel with bananas

10. ioerror says:

I’ve been walking in and out of this station for the last week. Almost all of the time, there’s someone photographing the construction. Myself included. It’s totally insane that they would hassle someone for taking photos inside of the center of the main Zürich train station! You can’t miss these things if you try! Argh!

11. pyota says:

zurich police are a bunch of assholes in my experience. its fairly common to see them harrassing ‘foreigners’ ( namely non-aryans).

12. Al Fear says:

That’s nothing.

Those Bahnhof Polizie have a reputation for overreaching their authority. Several years ago I boarded a train to Zurich. Inevitably 2 conductors came and asked for my ID, it was then that I realised I had left my GA Rail Pass at home with my wallet. They radio’d ahead to Zurich HB and when we got off the train there were 5 of these thugs waiting.

I did my best to explain I had forgot my wallet and ID. The law states that the conductors must take down your details and issue you a fine (payable in 7 days, and refundable on producing a Rail Pass). Instead, one of the Neanderthal BPs stuck his hand in my pockets and helped himself to the only paper money I was carrying, which he then passed to the conductors.

All completely illegal and unnecessary, they were simply having fun with an immigrant. I complained but it never went anywhere.