My story about the next 150 years of bookselling: The Right Book

15 Responses to “My story about the next 150 years of bookselling: The Right Book”

1. CJ says:

Looks like a good story, but unless I’m missing something the only way to read it is on a horrible flash-based site – which takes ages to load each page (I’m on a slow connection, yes) and loads one page at a time (if my boss is monitoring my internet useage, I’d rather load one or two big pages than 50 small ones).

2. Robotech_Master says:

An interesting story. In a way, it kind of reminds me of Christopher Morley’s Parnassus on Wheels or The Haunted Bookshop (find ‘em on Gutenberg), except in the opposite direction.

3. guernican says:

I can never quite get over Cory’s British-to-American prose switches.

4. the_boy says:

So, I liked the reader, but looking past that, the content is great. I always thought the new zines would be the best cut-and-pasted from the web and left hiding around schools, *spoiler warning* so the handcrafted books from a social-networking-cum-lj-fanfic-wank makes perfect sense to me

Use this link to get a 3 page, 1.89MB PDF containing only Cory’s story.

It’s still an indirect link to a PDF, but at least there’s no Flash. A rather neat dynamic PDF generator, actually.

Dear all,

It’s Anna here from The Bookseller. We have now put Cory’s story online here:

Hope this helps those who prefer a straight-forward text version.

Kind regards,
    Anna Richardson
    The Bookseller

7. BubbleDragon says:

Thoroughly enjoyable. Thank you!

#1 – You can click the PDF icon and wait for it to load, the select pages 116, 117, and 119.

8. Agent 86 says:

I chuckled. Learning to bind my down books, and learning some minor photoshop skills, and buying a laser printer are now all on my to-do list.

9. nghtchld says:

Ironic? that a story about ‘future’ books, in a book sellers magazine is on a site which is about as unbookish and unusable as they can make it? Great story though, the kind of teaser that makes you want a novellete about the same chrs instead :)

10. tp1024 says:

Wow, this must have been the absolutely least enjoyable way to read anything ever. And I don’t quite get how anyone could like pu’er tea.

But the story’s good, that’s all that counts.

Cory: please coer^h^h^convince them to publish it as a plain text somewhere. This reader is ridiculous.

11. kleer001 says:

I roll back into my shared feeds quite often and when I saw that little link for the text version of the story my heart skipped a beat, a chill ran up my back and I was flush with a small type of love.

There is very little to compare with the feeling of being listened to, to know that you were heard and accounted for in any medium.

Three cheers for theBookseller.com and those that listen and act.

This is what is must have felt like to be in that first generation of those in the free colonies.

12. kleer001 says:

U.S. Patent 2,026,329
    It’s awesome. I think it’s even in the public domain at this point.

13. Pteryxx says:

Agreed… I gave up rather than trying to load that lame flash abomination. Another reader lost to content-provider paranoia.

14. Takuan says:

i didn’t like it until I figured it out, then it was fine after a minute.

15. nex says:

Maybe if I’d have the large screen connected and wouldn’t need to use the extremely badly implemented zoom function, that interface would be bearable, but on my small notebook it’s so bad it hurts. I hope some time I’ll come across the story in a sane format … as it is I won’t read it :-(