Steampunk Soviet gas-mask

20 Responses to “Steampunk Soviet gas-mask”

1. jimh says:

Love this, and immediately thought of Hellboy.

@Dianogah, are you informing artists that their creative work is derivative and therefore a waste of time and effort? Now THAT’S original. What’s sad is that you think that what makes some people happy should be different, or should suit your idea of worthwhile activity.

2. Kieran O'Neill says:

#15: I’m sure it couldn’t possibly be. Way to go Cory. Enjoy it!

Mmmm… Been listening to LastFM radio on the steampunk tag for the last two days at work. It’s a strangely wonderful mish-mash of post-rock, neofolk, dark caberet and movie soundtracks (or similar dramatic orchestral pieces about airships). Abney Park (already featured on BB gadgets for their amazing steampunk gear) and Vernian Process are well worth checking out, along with most of the bands tagged with steampunk.

3. zayzay says:

I checked out this crazy site with tons of gasmask pics neonasty.com

4. Ceronomus says:

And according to the website, they created the item USING a gas-mask. Whether or not it still works is debatable. It most likely is just a steampunk fetish-fashion prop.

It looks cool though.

5. Simon Bradshaw says:

Looking at the lined site, I think it very much is a steampunk fetish-fashion prop rather than an original item (cool as that would have been).

Am I the only one reminded of Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from Hellboy?

6. DavidSilverberg says:

I think this where Kanye West got his idea for those ridiculous sunglasses he wears.

7. Andreas says:

I think I need to get one of those and wear it when I play Fallout 3 by the end of the year.

8. Doc Tourneau says:

Coolest. Halloween mask. Ever.

9. willykea says:

Is it just me or are the eyes somewhat goatse-esque?

10. Doctor Popular says:

This mask looks great. I love the look of the leather. I originally saw it last week on Steampunk Workshop, the same place Wired found the link.

11. dianogah says:

t’s sd t s s mny crtv ppl spndng thr tm n s mch stmpnk crp…Sklld crftsppl wh cld b cmng p wth smthng nw tht w hvn’t sn yt. nstd, ll ths tlntd ppl r slvshly dvtd t mkng stmpnk mc, pc csmds nd thr rdclsnss.

ftn wndr wht knd f mzng rtwrk wld b crtd by ll f th mzng rtsts n Jpn, f thy wrn’t shpshly rstrctng thr xprssn t th strct vsl rls f nm…ths s n dffrnt.

12. Gary61 says:

Mom?

13. eiderfarmer says:

Am I mistaken, or is it not just any doctorow who has bought it?

14. Ceronomus says:

Not at all Simon. I had the very same thought.

15. airship says:

Note to self: incorporate this design into uniform for evil minions.

Wow! That mask reminds me of Doctor Steel! It’s like an industrial/steam-punk robot of World Domination!

17. FireBookDuo says:

The guy who made this also made a cthulhu mask that was featured on BB back in January 2007.

I wound up getting a dragon mask from him just a few weeks later. Makes for on heck of a interesting costume http://www.flickr.com/photos/firebookduo/507070901/in/set-72157600015079482/

18. Cory Doctorow says:

I was convinced by an email from William Gibson, “It’s an awesome piece of work. Probably the single best Steampunk objet
    I’ve seen.

And it made me notice, suddenly, that Steampunk is more directly
    ‘Gibsonian’ to the extent that it consists of *collaged gomi*

This mask is, in itself, a very fine example of collage.” (Quoted with permission)