In search of the penis thieves

23 Responses to “In search of the penis thieves”

1. Perla says:

You really should read the article. It’s very good. So this could mean many Western psychiatric disorders are culture-specific. Will other cultures suffer from say Oedipus complexes?

2. mikerbaker says:

She turned me into a newt! (pause) I got better.

3. Marcel says:

Okay, now I’ve read the article. Quite interesting. It’s just that I have my reservations against the diagnosis of a ‘mental disorder’.

See, if these occurances are deemed to be the result of a ‘mental disorder’, than, by the same principle, a person who has been given a placebo which results in an improved health status must also have a ‘mental disorder’. The only notable difference is that it had a beneficial effect.

What can be said though, is that apparantly, a person’s convictions concerning reality have a huge impact on their perception, and can be quite affecting in a physical sense as well.

To me, this would rather seem to be a general trait we all have in common, and not so much an anomaly.

Remember Rasputin? That man thought himself to be invincible. And indeed he survived several attempts on his life, including poison.

4. Oskar says:

This is such a clear example of mass-hysteria; one person starts suspecting there’s something wrong with his peeper, he claims that a sorcerer is responsible. People start hearing about this and start to become paranoid (“Wait, it feels a little flaccid!”), and they start accusing people. Soon you have thousands of people in on the delusion.

5. mikelotus says:

That’s always been my excuse after I brag about the size and then can pony up one that big. The witches did it.

6. squirrelgirl says:

i got exactly one sentance into the Harper’s article before i cracked up and couldn’t go any further.

“No one is entirely sure when magical penis loss first came to Africa.”

ROFL

7. Ryan says:

Wow, I know someone who causes the exact opposite to happen to me. I wonder if the two situations are related. Maybe he should be using his powers to battle the penis thieves.

8. ncm says:

Reminds me of the joke with the punchline, “Western doctor always want operate. You wait two week, it fall off by itself!”

9. nanuq says:

It’s not all that funny considering that suspected sorcerers have been killed over this.

10. monopole says:

Keep in mind that this is also a western belief (and to some extent doctrine) as evidenced by this portion of the Malleus Maleficarum

Part I, Question IX Whether Witches may work some Prestidigatory Illusion so that the Male Organ appears to be entirely removed and separate from the Body.

f crs, mgc s ctlly nt mplyd, nstd th rgn n qstn s smply npblshd.

11. ill lich says:

Hmmmm. . . this give me an idea for a new superhero.

Wake me when the witches can make a penis bigger.

13. Avram says:

Monopole #71, the way that’s phrased, it sounds like a perverse version of the “got yer nose” game.

(As for your last paragraph — Why’d you have to go there?)

14. minTphresh says:

@8 (avram) lol! “gotcher penis!” he says in a ‘mr.rogers’ type voice.

15. Moxie Crimefighter says:

What kind of voodoo is this??

16. ill lich says:

Well, if a beautiful woman can make your penis suddenly grow bigger, then it stands to reason that an ugly old “witch” will make it shrink, right? Ain’t no magic involved. As for “disappearing” I think he’s just the victim of stress blindness. Relax, go get a “full massage and release.”

17. Chevan says:

That was an excellently written article, and a fascinating subject. Thanks!

18. dainel says:

The difference between the lynch mob and the police, the police checks to see if it’s really still there. It always is.

19. Antiglobalism says:

Imagine how embarassing it’d be if you had to admit to your mom: “Mom…someone stole my penis”

20. Takuan says:

sounds terribly Greecian to me

21. Xenu says:

George: Do women know about shrinkage?
    Elaine: What do you mean, like laundry?
    George: No…
    Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming… afterwards…
    Elaine: It shrinks?
    Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

22. Marcel says:

Has anyone considered the possibility that the only thing stopping this from happening to you, is the fact that you do not believe it is possible?