US Air Guitar: San Francisco Regional Championship 2008

16 Responses to “US Air Guitar: San Francisco Regional Championship 2008”

1. Marcy says:

This is one time of those times when I hoped to find a video link at the end of the post!

2. Dav says:

Oh man, I’m glad I bought my tickets already.

The documentary Air Guitar Nation is really wonderful. I highly recommend (if you’re in the bay area) buying your ticket to the live event first and then renting the DVD.

3. Takuan says:

I do hope the rules forbid any who can actually play. That would be a mockery.

4. smasm says:

I joined with the express purpose of sharing the joy that C Diddy, world air guitar champion 2003, has brought me for the last three years. God bless his Hello Kitty cloaked heart.

5. agreatnotion says:

Actually I have video that I completely forgot about. I’ll upload and add to the post. Thanks!

6. doumakes says:

Years ago, MadTV put on a sketch about an air guitar store that was among their funniest ever. If you can find it on the web, do.

7. Phikus says:

C’mon… There’s nothing like seeing dicks prance around (or is it pricks dance around…?) playing with big imaginary redundancies…

8. Buckethead says:

There’s actually a documentary on DVD about these guys, ‘Air Guitar Nation’.

9. Tao says:

Air Guitar Nation is definitely worth checking out.
    Truly fascinating (and entertaining) stuff.

10. buzzcowboy says:

Although I was mistakenly identified as the person who threw a glass of water on a contestant and then greeted with a chorus of c-words from the judges and the crowd, I enjoyed myself at this fine event.

(For the record: Hot Lixx Hulahan, who won the finals, actually threw the water.)

In any case, we interviewed fans about the concept of “airness” at this event, and we have some good footage of Shred Begley/Awesome too:

The finals were insane. Woo air guitar!

11. backlikeclap says:

I’d kill to take a few hundred photos of that concert.

12. sicklecell says:

looks boring

13. Jaan says:

Dumbest. Thing. Ever. (dumb isn’t the word I want to use but I’m trying to be PC).

It’s things like this that make me wonder if America is doomed. Are we so fraking lazy that we honor those that can actually get off a couch and pretend to play guitar, instead of all the “losers” that can’t even do that?

14. Antinous says:

How could strangers making fools out of themselves be boring?

15. Takuan says:

firstly, I think it was`those girlish flibbertigibbets the Finns – taking time off from vodka,stabbings and saunas – that originally hosted this. Secondly, lighten up for craps-sake, have a beer and quit6 thinking about work for five minutes.

Shred Begly Jr. (A.K.A. Awesome) (which, I believe, is his “official” name), is also San Francisco-based comedian Alex Koll.