Building demolition based on old Japanese game

14 Responses to “Building demolition based on old Japanese game”

1. Aloisius says:

Does anyone build structures in this way (well the reverse)?

I think that would be far more entertaining. In time lapse it would look like the building essentially grew out of the ground.

At first I thought that they where placing each story on melting blocks of ice.

3. Takuan says:

climbing slip-forms

4. aj says:

Yes but what is their company song?

5. Takuan says:

Well, I’ve been down so Goddamn long
    That it looks like up to me
    Well, I’ve been down so very damn long
    That it looks like up to me
    Yeah, why don’t one you people
    C’mon and set me free

I said, warden, warden, warden
    Won’t you break your lock and key
    I said, warden, warden, warden
    Won’t ya break your lock and key
    Yeah, come along here, mister
    C’mon and let the poor boy be

6. Nores says:

Wake me when they can make the building taller by carefully removing a big chunk of the fifth floor and putting it on top…

7. Ponchyan says:

#5 and #6, this method is faster than the method commonly used in Japan, which is to dismantle the building piece-by-piece, due to tight quarters in urban environments, rather than the more dramatic explosive method of demolition familiar to viewers of the Discovery Channel.

8. Sethum says:

That’s an interesting method of demolishing a building. If it is indeed faster than the American method (strategically placed explosions to make a building collapse in on itself), then I hope it gets used more regularly.

In the Discovery Channel’s report on China, it talked about how the Chinese use cheap labor to slowly dismantle the building, which allows the bricks and metal rebar to be reclaimed. In comparison, the American method is fast and efficient, but leaves little to be reused from the pile of rubble.

9. Nores says:

So… ummm… when does it all blow up?

10. Nick Shogun says:

The problem with daruma-otoshi is that if you mess up, the whole thing collapses.

While working in a taller building across the street, we watched a small building in Albany, NY demolished from the top down. Crane-lifted a small Caterpillar bulldozer onto the roof and broke up floor, walls, etc. working it’s way toward a corner. Mounted a couple of ramps to move down to the next floor, turned around to knock down the previous platform and repeated the process for 7 or 8 floors. Debris chute, two guys and about 60 days and the site was spotless.

Thanks for the memory.

12. A New Challenger says:

Speaking of building demolition based on an old Japanese game:

13. Sork says:

If you play Kakato Otoshi you have to consider the possibility that the lady will fall ;)

14. toasty mofo says:

Another related game reference.