Photo of people flinching at a flying baseball bat

21 Responses to “Photo of people flinching at a flying baseball bat”

1. bat21 says:

The Chicago Tribune has an article with lots of pics about this after a poor little boy got his skull cracked by a foul ball at a Cubs game. He’s fine now.

2. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

Is it too early for Freudian comments?

3. Takuan says:

nope, take it in hand

4. Foolster41 says:

WRay: so which one is it then? I think it might be a pro practice, since I’d imagine only more dedicated fans go to those.

5. wray says:

@3,@10,@11,

Based solely on the observation that there are a whole bunch of very prime, very empty seats behind the dugout I’d guess this was a minor league venue. Wood bat says pro ball.

6. Sharkhunt says:

That appears to be a Fresno Grizzlies game, SF’s AAA minor league team. The colors from the dugout are right and the kid walking down the stairs is wearing a Grizzlies home jersey.

Jersey: http://shop.mlb.com/sm-fresno-grizzlies-replica-home-jersey–pi-2242710.html

Seats: http://www.irwinseating.com/stadium/images/senator/LG_GrizzliesPark.jpg

7. Mythus says:

My favorite is the little girl eating pizza – she’s just watching.

8. newyorkduck says:

Yeah, that’s the thing I noticed: all the adults are flinching like maniacs, yet the kids are just watching with wonder.

Something about the naiveté of youth, not knowing what a spinning, 34 ounce wooden projectile can do to your face.

Sharkhunt wins the sleuthing contest. It is in fact a Fresno Grizzlies game v. the Portland Beavers on July 7 and was taken by Kurt Hegre of The Fresno Bee.
    William Haines
    Director of Photography
    The Fresno Bee

10. Foolster41 says:

The compulsive researcher/detective wanna be in me has me looking for where this came from. I’m not really knowledgeable about baseball, but I tried searching for the logo on the dugout. Baltimore is kind of close (The “S” at the end of “Orioles” but not quite.

I suspect it is somewhere in the NE states, because of the guy with the Yankees cap, and the kids appear to be eating NY style pizza. Does anyone recognize the logo on the blue hat? It looks kinda familiar.

11. GorillaSushi says:

Here’s two other sports-related studies of facial expressions and emotions…
    and

12. SC_Wolf says:

We can’t stop here! This is bat country!

13. Johnny Cat says:

I’ve seen foolster’s example before, and regardin the kids, it really depends on if they’re watching the game or not. If they see the errant swingage, they react.

14. Burns! says:

@ Foolster41, #3:

My guess is AT&T Park, in San Francisco.

The colors (black and orange) are right, and that “S” could be the end of Giants. The logo on the blue (black?) hat looks like it could be the “SF” Giants logo, and the seats also look like the ones at AT&T Park.

When do I get my junior detective badge?

15. Foolster41 says:

Snarkhunt: Good sleuthing. If I had a Jr. Detective badge I’d send it to you.

16. Idlehands says:

When bats go bad

17. EH says:

Heads up!

18. Foolster41 says:

Burnsi: Not a bad guess. The hat looks very close, I suspect that you are right that it is a SF giants hat.

However, looking at photos of AT&T stadium, I can’t quite find a match. The “S” makes sense, but the shape on the left side doesn’t quite fit. For one thing, the shape on the far left doesn’t quite match, and the lettering it filled orange with white edging, AT&T has black with orange edging. (Unless it has changed since this photo, but I don’t see any that are different than this one.)