Brit academics call for Bletchley Park funding

12 Responses to “Brit academics call for Bletchley Park funding”

1. Absent says:

Surely the Heritage Lottery Fund could through a few million at it.

2. Paul says:

They should make Bletchley Park part of either the Science Museum, or the Imperial War Museum, both of which are excellent institutions, and both would do a great job of presenting the material and the site well, although with an obvious difference in viewpoint.

There’s a petition for state funding for Bletchley Park at http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/BletchleyPark/: 6,200 signatures so far. Sign it!

4. ZippySpincycle says:

Just finishing up my first read of Cryptonomicon, so this post is, as the kittehs say, relevant to my interests.

Could someone recommend a really good biography of Turing?

5. insomma says:

Good for them. I hope to see it one day.

6. Antinous says:

good opportunity for that young, gay computer science Turing scholarship.

And force me to watch another bad romantic comedy about a straight guy who pretends to be gay in order to get some benefit?

7. Takuan says:

typical genitocentric womyn oppresor

8. chatirygirl says:

Thanks for posting about this, and for the great post all about visiting Bletchley. My granny worked there during the war, probably due to her crossword skills and I hope to visit it one day.

9. proto says:

Zippy -

‘Alan Turing: The Enigma’ by Andrew Hodges. About 500 pages. Get the UK version if you can find it. There’s an Americanized paperback with the same text but without references and source notes.

10. jlborghead says:

@Absent: If I remember correctly, the Heritage Lottery turned them down because they were ineligible.

11. gregb666 says:

don’t know if you all heard it today but there was a report on BBC about it:

12. Takuan says:

good opportunity for that young, gay computer science Turing scholarship.