EFF releases Net Neutrality detector software

10 Responses to “EFF releases Net Neutrality detector software”

1. jubjub the leper says:

I don’t see how this will prevent my ISP, Time Warner from throttling my bandwidth. I’ve noticed a couple times that my 8 Mb/s download that I pay extra for is downgraded to 250 kb/s after downloading torrents (verified speed with LiveCD to make sure it wasn’t malware.) Of course I don’t expect the tech support to know what the engineers are up to.

Checking for active ISP packet mangling won’t affect passive bandwidth capping. But it was pretty obvious anyway I guess.

Before I was getting knocked offline altogether from a “too many incoming connections” in Vista. Who knows, maybe it is a SYN flood or was just bad Vista networking. But whatever. This stuff isn’t easy since the burden of proof is on the guy getting messed with. Maybe it was space monkeys.

2. mirrormonkey says:

ugh, python? so this won’t run on my vax then? perl is still more portable than that ugly language.

3. Patchouli Pete says:

@JUBJUB: I don’t don’t think you’ve understood. It doesn’t prevent anything. There is a subtle clue to this in the phrase “detection software.” Please try to keep up.

4. Chad says:

#3, nope, no Vax. No Netware, either. Therefore, Python is obviously inferior and flawed.

5. LeopardPrintHussy says:

Nice to know the EFF is working on something. Given how the ruling went against Comcast yesterday (Boing Boing, why no reporting?) it woudl be great to be able to turn the ISP’s in.

6. Oren Beck says:

I term this version of the tool a “Neutrality estimator assistant” And an alpha release at that.
    Any start on this is a good one! The evolving technology of neutrality estimation may create constructive feedback. For both ISP and advertising/merchants.

As in the exposure of those who mung our data streams.They soon will be at risk of both public ridicule AND monetary ruin.Prime example to me – FairEagle to be blunt functions as a form of BHO exploit. And using Exploits that are of dubious Ethics opens them up to justice of a new sort.

How hard for example would it be to pull a Judo on FairEagle. By scraping their served ads Vs originating request info. Then posting an “Ethics Rating” of their advertisers.
    Yep, it wil do wunnerful things to customer awareness. The new Boycott listing so to speak.
    Advertise using scummy tactics and be treated so.

Thus we have a new question for all ISP policy makers. Which path kiddies? The path of Scummy Deceit and Data Rape? Or a model of neutrality we used to call “Common Carrier”

The future of which path an ISP takes may be shaped by such tools. As if it’s independently demonstrated which path an ISP chooses we can choose which ISP to spend our money with. Or Not.

7. Joel Johnson says:

LeopardPrintHussy: Boing Boing Gadgets has reported on the Comcast decision over the last couple of days:

8. Keir says:

Cory, if you could post another story about this when it’s a bit more user-friendly that would be great, looks like a lot more of us will want to check it out then.

9. spazzm says:

It’s a mess of python code you have to check out of SVN before running it. They’re looking for volunteers to create a Windows installer – any takers?

10. B2B says:

Net neutrality, even as it affects us, users is really a battle between ISPs and Silicon Valley and Redmond giants – as it’s explained at http://www.internetevolution.com/author.asp?section_id=556&doc_id=160628&f_src=flffour

When seen from this perspective, it sometimes makes sense to go against it!