Red Nose Studios art -- tilt-shifty fantastic illustration/photos

8 Responses to “Red Nose Studios art -- tilt-shifty fantastic illustration/photos”

1. Megan Lane Patrick says:

If you really like Chris’s work, you should check out his book: The Look Book. It’s entirely his concept and the execution is flawless.

2. Bouncy Bouncy says:

The influence of Dave McKean is so ubiquitous isn’t it?

3. ChuckEye says:

Indeed, both tilty and shifty! (There’s probably even a bit of Sheimflug going on too…)

Though to be fair, it’s the quality of the models that really makes these work, more than the orientation of the lens plane in relation to the film back. (And this coming from a guy who really likes shallow depth of field.)

4. teckels says:

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the image in this post, was that it is eerily “Edgar Allen Poe” like.

I love Poe!

5. clothingoptional says:

I was happy to see the Red Nose Illustration on this story. HOW Magazine did a nice interview/profile of Chris Sickels some time back. Amazing work with Sculpy.

6. Bender says:

Very nice work. I wonder if he gets to come up with the concepts? That’s the fun part.

These photos aren’t “tilt-shifty”–they are actual closeups of small models with a normal depth of field which is, of course, what “tilt-shifty” is trying to look like. That’s like describing the giant antique machines in the Smithsonian’s Centennial 1876 exhibition are “steam-punkish”.

And yes, Red Nose’s models are -extremely- cool. Whenever they turn up in IT magazines I always love them way more than the articles they’re illustrating!

8. rednose says:

Dave McKean indeed. his Mr. Punch graphic novel came out when i was in college. you can see some of my favorite details from the Weak and Strange piece here:

thanks to Cory for some great material.

as far as ‘Scheimpflug’.. most all my work is shot on 4×5. tilt and shift are an integral part of taking the ‘scale out of my work. and besides when something miniature is a little out of focus is tends to be more believable…

chris