Electric carving knife: superior cardboard-carving tool

17 Responses to “Electric carving knife: superior cardboard-carving tool”

1. morcheeba says:

I worked at a place that built satellites using a honeycomb aluminum composite. Guess what the best thing to cut that honeycomb with was… the electric knife cut the thin aluminum without destroying the shape.

2. Antinous says:

I always reach for my Hamilton Beach.

3. LeftyX says:

Also great for carving foam rubber! Hints: you get a straighter cut if you slant the blade, and don’t rush.

4. nehpetsE says:

Lefty is correct. They are also great for carving foam rubber!

BUT!!! i have found that for larger hunks of foam rubber, a long, sharp, nonelectric, serrated bread knife combined with rapid sawing motion and brute force are MUCH faster(and it finally allows one to use the well toned masturbation muscles for something useful)

5. eustace says:

Although I’ve heard some scattered rumors about how well these cut foam rubber, the ideal tool for cutting foam rubber is a white-hot length of nichrome wire connected to an AC power supply. Just don’t breathe the fumes.

6. rcanzlovar says:

They’re handy for cutting foam, too.

7. back seat astronaut says:

“I saw this ad for electric scissors … I, right then, vowed that I would retain this image everytime I hear George Bush say ‘the terrorists hate our freedom.’ You know what? I hate our freedom. Little ol’ me, an American! I hate it! That’s all we’ve done with it? We’re fucking assholes, man.” –David Cross

8. Lauren O says:

“I was given an electric carving knife as a wedding present…I have yet to use the knife for my own children.”

Good God, woman, I know they’re annoying, but murdering kids puts you in jail for a long time!

9. Lydia9 says:

Yes indeed! I used to be a prop fabricator, and we used these for all sorts of things. The added bonus is that every time you’re carving something, you can reenact the dinner scene in Rocky Horror.

They work great for cutting foam rubber (like for cushion-filling) too!

11. gem says:

great for cutting out this DIY $10 Photo Studio i just read about in the Strobist (http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/07/how-to-diy-10-macro-photo-studio.html).

i was just thinking of where i can find a good, sharp, box cutter that won’t make messy edges.

@ all coments with a rocky horror reference sing it with me now “Let’s do the time warp agaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin. let’s do the tim ewarp agaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiin!” its just a jump to the left ….. and then a step to the riiiiiiight……. put your hands on your hips….. and bend your knees in tight. but its the pelvic thrust that really drives you in sayayayayane. LETS DO THE TIME WARP AGAIIIIIIIIIIIN :D

13. anthony says:

The knife is more planet-friendly.

14. eustace says:

Turn your kid into an instant Rodin (well, more Brancusi really). Big chunk of packing foam (the rubbery kind) + electric carving knife + kid = fun.

15. wynneth says:

@4 –
    Eddie!

16. eustace says:

A tender subject. Another slice, anyone?

17. anthony says:

Hmm. Noted. This may eliminate the use of box cutters by high school students (but not the need for a first aid kit),
    He said off-handedly.