Extreme ironing, an adventure sport for people who like laundry

27 Responses to “Extreme ironing, an adventure sport for people who like laundry”

1. anthony says:

Shoot. I thought the link would lead to a gigantic chess board where boxers took the place of chess pieces, and knocked each other over at the whim or strategy of the chess masters…

2. cinemajay says:

This is my kind of sport. I come from a long line or ironers.

3. urabus says:

Reminds me of Grey by Jon Armstrong (http://www.nightshadebooks.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=3) Where Ironing was a sport

4. justONEguy says:

This is way better than the Extreme Irony festival in Brooklyn where everyone just stood around and snickered.

5. Teapunk says:

Where can I send my laundry? I really, really hate ironing.

6. Antinous says:

No sky-roning?

7. DavidMichaelMalloy says:

They’re serious!

8. Steamfunk says:

I can’t believe how excited some people get about ironing! Am I missing out? I was reading about the World Ironing Championships today – maybe I’ll take part! (You should too, if you know how to iron a shirt!)

9. ivan256 says:

#2: Actually, I’m pretty sure that these guys were the winners of the Brooklyn Extreme Irony festival.

Or were you being ironic? ;)

10. ADavies says:

I’m not really familiar with “ironing”. Do these “irons” usually need to be plugged in?

11. EyeSpy Guy says:

This iron seems like one that an Extreme Ironer would covet, the butane successor to a Kerosene Iron.

I’m impressed.

Butane Clothes Iron

Yes, Ivan, numerous skydivers and BASE jumpers have already tried their hand at Extreme Ironing. Google it and you’ll come up with lots of pics and video.

13. ekricyote says:

This is what Silicon Heaven looks like for Kryten.

14. opposablethumb says:

I was much surprised to see this more-or-less for real. Jon Armstrong describes an extreme ironing contest in his novel Grey, which I discovered a few months ago through a BoingBoing link.

15. xoe says:

I’m wondering about that whole “plugged in” thing, myself. Do they have battery powered irons now or something?

16. Jake0748 says:

How does Iron Man fit in with all this?

17. The Unusual Suspect says:

Oh, the iron-y of it all!

18. WA says:

Xeo, such irons do apparently exist; a search for cordless irons gives quite a few results.

However, I must also take issue with the assertion that these people are “ironing with finesse.” In most of the photographs I’ve seen, they aren’t ironing at all. The irons aren’t powered, and the clothes in many cases are positioned quite oddly. In most of the videos I’ve found, the ‘ironers’ simply seem to wave the iron around randomly, and press it against clothes in ways that wouldn’t be at all effective if one were actually ironing.

I can see this as an amusing joke, but it does seem odd that despite the practicality of actually doing what they claim to be doing*, few, if any, really do iron.

* Except for the bog one, which simply wouldn’t work.

19. anthony says:

I’m into extreme starching, myself.

20. Bill Basso says:

These photos offer a cathartic chuckle to the stress I felt trying to look civilized while living in a tent. I think this is my new favorite sport.

When I lived in the bush years ago as a young lad, I heated my iron on the camp fire which was extreme ironing in itself since you had to be careful not to burn the fabric.

Later I got a gen set and was able to use an electric iron with a rheostatic thermostat. It was like heaven to have a cotton setting.

I don’t know what’s with the unplugged cords in the pictures. I don’t see how you’re going to get a nice crisp pleat that way. But I guess you have to understand these guys are professionals and know what they are doing. It must take years of dedicated practice to be this good.

#5, #7 and that is indeed where I lose respect for this sport. There do indeed exist irons that don’t have to be plugged in http://terrence.marsh.faculty.noctrl.edu/lantern/iron.html But these farbs mostly use electric irons with the cords cut off. They lose major style point in my book.

who will be the first to iron on Everest’s summit…..

23. David Voss says:

Nah, not even in the same league as chess boxing for weird-ass sports that need to be in the Olympics