Ancient Mayan underworld discovered in Mexico

33 Responses to “Ancient Mayan underworld discovered in Mexico”

1. joanna says:

“Stupid archeologists…full of Indiana Jones Syndrome…going to kill us all…mumble mumble mumble…”

It’s worth revisiting this old chestnut from the Onion:
    Archaeologist Tired of Unearthing Unspeakable Ancient Evils”

I did a paper on the trials of the Mayan Hero Twins, and I was delighted by Cold House, Bat House, Razor House and so on. Fun neighborhood! With such a great mythos, I don’t understand why there haven’t been any good Mayan horror movies (The Ruins does not/will not count).

2. colinb says:

RE: “the entrance to Xibalba was once protected by rivers filled with blood, scorpions, and pus, and houses swarming with shrieking bats”

Wow, and I’ve been relying on ADT for years.

3. Hans Davies says:

this is great! thank you for sharing!

4. markfrei says:

Sweet! My right arm is tattooed with a monster that represents the road to Xibalba – with the monsters mouth being the cave entrance.

Tho I’m still wondering if this is the one and only Xilbalba or if there was a more general belief that caves lead to the underworld. Given other Mayan cave sites I’ve seen I’d venture on the later…

5. AceJohnny says:

An odd coincidence: Mark’s previous post on the future of english language links to a site on http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk

Pure coincidence, or has that one led to this one? :)

6. Honkytowner says:

Well, they’ve discovered something and it looks real enough, so whatever it is , it isn’t “mythical”. If it proves to be Xibalba then it is surely legendary.

7. obeyken says:

I feel… cold.

8. Foolster41 says:

They featured it on that “underworld” (or “underground” I can’t remember.) TV show I think on discovery channel a few weeks ago. It was pretty interesting.

#3: I think in the show they said it “represented” the underworld, but I got the impression that they didn’t really know for sure.

9. markfrei says:

Huh? It links to Harper.com .
    While that would have been interesting, I’m not sure where you get that link…

10. Jeff says:

Death Cult Culture. Some things are best left undisturbed.

11. monstrinho_do_biscoito says:

how did the anchient people get in there, not having access to all that scuba gear?

12. bardonic says:

Well there were 23 comments when I looked at this a few minutes ago. Maybe I am meant to explore this underworld in 315 years… during the dog days of course. I’ll start collecting the gear.

13. jayemdee says:

i just think it’s pretty darn cool that there are still things out there like this yet to be discovered.

14. MoonMan says:

…and you thought it was only a myth. That’s the tagline for my novel MAYAN MOON, which I began researching back in the 80′s. What a facinating culture, with all kinds of creepy secrets hidden out there in the jungle. Check it out at http://www.jmskypblshng.cm

15. Mojave says:

They should just hold off on articles like this until there are LOTS and LOTS of pictures.

16. Cragsavage says:

Just great…why don’t they just go in there and drag Cthulu out…save us all the wait?

17. Camilo says:

So cool. I live in the Yucatan Peninsula. Don’t think they give out the exact location, though. Probably to keep junkies and hookers out of the caves, a la seattle futuristic public restrooms?

And to think, they went out on that expedition looking for the *christian* hell… Imagine their surprise!

19. Kulia says:

Pus would give me pause. {{{shudder}}}

20. garyb50 says:

Evidently, there’s much more to pus than I ever suspected.

21. SugarFree says:

And to think that all that natural beauty had to give way to condos…

22. Sputnik says:

the entrance to Xibalba was once protected by rivers filled with blood, scorpions, and pus, and houses swarming with shrieking bats.

I think I went there on holiday this Summer.

(note to Fodors: You lied!)

23. TKendo says:

Hey Lisa, thanks for the awesome posts. I hope you stick around for a while.

Saludos desde Mexico.

24. MarlboroTestMonkey7 says:

Fodor: 1/2*

Xibalba is rife with tests for the casual tourist, trials and traps for anyone who came into the city. Even the Road to Xibalba is filled with obstacles: first a river filled with scorpions, a river filled with blood, and then a river filled with pus. The rest of the city is thoroughly modern, which means it can be just as chaotic as its big sister, but it offers many of the same urban diversions, in particular good restaurants and nightlife.

25. Cnoocy says:

Someone needs to post a link to the “Xibalba is for Lovers” shirt from Goats, so here it is:

26. Bonnie says:

I have a bad feeling about this.

27. zikman says:

sounds like my kind of place

28. bjacques says:

I’m not looking forward to 2012. It’s not enough that we haven’t offered the gods any sacrifices in almost 500 years. Now we’ve broken into one of their hangouts. This can’t end well.

29. Carrie says:

I think it’s The Dimension of Pain from Sluggy Freelance.
    -Carrie

30. indiecognition says:

If you look close, I think you can see Nancy Botwin wandering back to Maternity World.