Boing Boing tv: John Hodgman, "More Information Than You Require."

21 Responses to “Boing Boing tv: John Hodgman, "More Information Than You Require."”

1. edosan says:

I’m excited to see that John Hodgman has a new book, but this time I’ll wait for the “now with more material!” paperback version, like I should have for the first one.

2. Tavie says:

Xeni, have you ever done improv? You’re very receptive. You seem like you’d be excellent and improvisational comedy.

I am not an expert, never having done it myself. Just an observation from a layman. Or a laymanic woman.

3. jasonhsewell says:

Love the cover of the book. It reminds be very much of the label on a bottle of Dr. Bronner’s soap. Can’t help but wonder if Hodgman’s choice of cover is meant to evoke the same sense of “craziness” as the soap’s creator.

4. ZippySpincycle says:

Maddy@3, who do you think commissioned the assassin drone that Hodgman mentions?

5. themindfantastic says:

Xeni, this is very reminiscent of Crispin Glover on Late Night with David Letterman… he wasn’t giving you much traction there… which I suspect he quite rather enjoyed. But congrats, you were able to get some usable material! Not that he made it easy.

6. mostlymuppet says:

Hodgman gave away free copies of an advance reader’s pamphlet version of More Information Than You Require via a Twitter ploy earlier this year: http://www.mostlymuppet.com/2008/09/02/hodgman-twitter-and-signed-copies/

7. Patrick Nielsen Hayden says:

If he’s being published by Dutton, why is he being photographed in front of our (Macmillan’s) Flatiron Building? This seems wrong.

I’ll just have to content myself with having had Mr. Hodgman sit down to breakfast three feet away from me at BookExpoAmerica this year, launching himself into a lengthy and hilarious monologue directed at his two companions, which I struggled to not look like I was enjoying overhearing. John Hodgman is a mighty rocking thing.

8. Agies says:

@6 I’m fairly certain that it’s all a joke that Xeni was in on.

9. Jack says:

@#3 MADDY:
    I’m pretty certain nobody cares either way. Bill Gates didn’t become a gajillionaire because he was self-conscious of people mocking him. Look at him? He’s always been who he is and he’s rich.

10. franko says:

i love mr. hodgman. that is all.

11. usonia says:

I keep seeing Mr. hodgeman at the local supermarket. We’re beginning to suspect he either lives in the area or does an inordanite amount of his shopping in Western Mass.

12. macisaguy says:

i’m a big fan of the Hodg Man. Here though, he was seemingly far further off the beaten path than normal. It was kind of uncomfortable.

Reminds me of a modern And Kauffman of sorts.

Worth being uncomfortable for. Also, looking forward to the audio book. Something about listening to hundreds of hobo names in traffic is insanely soothing. And I mean that close to literally.

13. Stu Mark says:

I am a huge fan of David Wallechinsky’s work, so it was super-thrilling to see the almanac on Hodgman’s bed. John Hodgeman is truly a world-class wit in the Will Rogers sense, and I’m hoping that more folks get exposed to his brain. And to Wallechinsky’s brain. “I can do without a ham sandwich.” – Xeni, your grace is unparalleled.

Hodg was using a Mac!

Humor Barnes & Noble Booksellers
    Buckhead
    2900 Peachtree Road NE Suite 310
    Atlanta, GA 30305
    404-261-7747

16. thekinginyellow says:

i can’t wait for his new book! i’m so happy to know that there is one. i might be even more happy when the audio book is released for free on itunes so i can hear his voice for 4 to 6 plus hours while driving to and from work.

17. Maddy says:

#9 — really Jack, you know the inner-workings of a ka-jillionaire’s mind? I was simply positing, and to clarify — my point is not remedied by the old bromide of “not caring what people think” (because we all do on some level) — it’s rising to the level of mocking as it effects Bill Gates’ business. And in my limited time on the planet, people who are ka-jillionares tend to care very much about their business …

18. themindfantastic says:

@8 AGIES : Well if so I certainly fell for it then ;).

19. Guesstimate Jones says:

Kraut Fire? Is that a band?

20. Halloween Jack says:

“New ferret, same old con.” Sold.

21. Maddy says:

funny. I wonder if this guy worries that Bill Gates wants to come up and punch him (or more realistically, hire someone to punch him). Despite all the Gates-is-lame blah-blah — I mean, if I had accomplished and gotten as rich as Bill Gates is, I’d prolly have a serious ego — and here’s this guy mocking me on ads? Could you imagine what John D. Rockefeller would have done to some competition mocking him thusly?