Jim Woodring's "Dirt in the Afternoon" drawing

11 Responses to “Jim Woodring's "Dirt in the Afternoon" drawing”

1. Stefan Jones says:

A repeat of The Simpsons shown the other day had a scene in The Android Dungeon comic shop. There was an issue of JIM hanging in front of the counter. Nice touch. I guess Groening is a fan.

Woodring’s art is getting better and better, but I do miss the actual comic strips he used to do.

2. zikman says:

for me, it’s that thing on the couch that squeezes my spinal column and what not

3. Lilorfnannie says:

“Hi Mom! I’m home! I brought a friend with me- can he stay for dinner?”

4. Shawn Wolfe says:

I agree – that view of normalcy through the window makes me howl.

5. Falcon_Seven says:

“…it’s that house, seen though the living room window…

6. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Falcon_Seven@5: “That house looks like any other Craftsman style home of the early twentieth century. Mark, why does that creep you out?”

Beats me. It only really affects me when I view the full res version on Jim’s blog.

7. skeptical says:

Mark, maybe its the fact that the roof structure is drawn incorrectly that is throwing you off? The corbels are shown supporting the fascia, not the actual roof itself. The fascia should be fastened onto the ends of the horizontal members of the corbel.

8. wayn3w says:

That house is so angular and inorganic, in stark contrast to the characters in the foreground. Even the curtain rod has more life in it than the neighbor’s house!

9. anthony says:

The psychic lines suggested by the ‘corbels’ cause the house to be as walleyed as the creatures. Nothing is looking at the viewer, and that can evoke an uneasy feeling.

10. membrain says:

I love how the knob of small table with the lamp seems to be like an eye staring at you.