Wall-climbing RC car

13 Responses to “Wall-climbing RC car”

1. Sonofkevitivity says:

Air Hogs make a log of fun, cheap R/C toys. I especially love their micro helicopter as well as some of the larger dual rotor heli.

2. Ghede says:

I’d love to see what people do with it when they hack it. Maybe give it long range controls… some video… attach it to a ceiling… maybe carry a mini-robodong payload.

3. Shannon says:

Presumably inspired by the Chaparral 2J “sucker car”…

4. Daemon says:

Awsome idea. Though it fails in the same way that every RC toy I’ve ever looked at does – battery life. Any toy that dies after 10-20 minutes isn’t really worth the hassle.

5. dpixel8 says:

RE: “Great. $43 bucks for the toy and $430 bucks to repaint the walls after the kids are done playing with the toy.”

Not sure where you live, but for $430, that is roughly 21 gallons of paint (using $20/gallon)

Last time I checked, it barely took 2 gallons to paint a LARGE room.

6. jtegnell says:

Yeah, you’re right, it looks like the steering sucks.

No surprise that it’s loud with the fan.

7. Jardine says:

So they’ve decided that RC stands for Racing Car instead of Radio Control now? It actually looks pretty interesting though I can think of a couple of problems right off the bat.

1. They claim 10 minutes of battery life, so that means more like 5 minutes.

2. Looking around the room I’m in, the walls have a ton of obstacles on them. Picture frames, windows, shelves, etc. The ceiling is pretty clear, but it’s also pretty high up.

8. andyhavens says:

RE #8: “If you push your luck and the battery dies, I assume it comes crashing to the ground and you’ve lost your thirty bucks.”

Not so much. It crashes a lot, but like most of the AirHog toys, it’s so light that it mostly just bounces. My son gets a kick (for whatever reason) out of driving it off the wall into the doorway space, where it then, of course, drops off. He’s done that a dozen times or so, and the fall to the carpet hasn’t seemed to harm the thing.

It weighs next to nothing and seems to be made of styrofoam, light plastic and good intentions.

9. Enochrewt says:

Like most Airhog toys: DO WANT.

10. neverender says:

this commercial came on and my girlfriend looked at me and exclaimed NO! i love Air Hogs and have a bunch of their RC airplanes. awesome stuff, flys easy so anyone can pick it up, recharges fast, always a good time. they are cheap and easily hackable.

11. crimeshark says:

This one was obviously cooked up by a member of the painter’s union.

12. Not a Doktor says:

now that’s a way to dust the picture frames

13. andyhavens says:

I got one of these last week (for $30 at Toys-R-Us) for my kid. It kinda works as advertised; the suction on the fan really keeps it on the wall and ceiling. I was surprised at how long it stayed on, and how fast it went on the wall.

The turning controls are pretty crummy, though. It mostly just spins when you try to turn.

Recharge time ain’t bad… about 10 minutes to put another 5-8 minutes of charge into it.

It doesn’t mark the walls at all, as the tiny little wheels that actually do the driving seem to be very solid (ie, no rubber involved).

It is kinda loud.