8 Responses to “Europeans: Write to your MEPs about telecoms amendment and protect yourself from surveillance and seizure”

1. madjo says:

That site Writetothem.com works fine and well for UK residents, but I live in The Netherlands, and I haven’t got a clue which MEP to write to.
    That’s the problem with EU politics IMO, so terribly opaque, that it is nearly impossible for EU citizens to keep an eye on their elected leaders.
    And local media do a lousy job keeping the public informed.
    It should not be bOINGbOING to warn us about these things.

2. danegeld says:

Find your MEP here:

any equivalent of theyworkforyou.com for Europe?

3. danegeld says:

http://www.writetothem.com/ (it was in the article)

4. pKp says:

Wrote to my MEP to discover that he is one of the strongest defenders of free software and Internet freedom in the EP. Brightened my day in no small amount.

Rock on, Mr Moscovici !

5. Daneel says:

@jugglepunk

Could be worse; one of my MEPs is the perma-tanned racist goon himself, Robert Kilroy-Silk. I got a stock reply back from him that he doesn’t vote for EU legislation of any kind. Marvellous philosophy for an MEP, n’est-ce pas?

6. Gilgongo says:

As a footnote to this, there were protests made this summer to MEPs by many (including myself) about some amendments that had slipped into a previous draft of the “telecomms package” bill. Those amends were very poorly worded and could have given ISPs idiotically ridiculous powers of surveillance over their customers. The MEPs concerned both told me they had not intended the wording to be interpreted like that, and I think these new amends are designed to rectify the situation. If so, then then this at least goes to show that organised pressure can make a difference to the way the European parliament operates. Still makes you want to spit though.

7. Jugglepunk says:

I wrote to my MEP’s (website didn’t make it entirely clear which one was mine, so I e-mailed quite a few… can’t hurt) and the first reply I got was from the UK Independance party (UKIP). Quite a nice e-mail, full of talk about the evils of the EU and ‘fearsome autocracies’, specifying how it was UKIP’s ‘beholden duty to oppose EU legislation’. Rest assured that UKIP MEP Nigel Farage is taking time out from frothing at the mouth to support this. Good lad.

8. HankPootel says:

How about a tag indicating who’s country and politics you’re currently praising, bashing, and otherwise pushing the copyfight? For example “ATTENTION EUROPEANS!” or “ATTENTION CITIZENS OF THE USA!” or “ATTENTION CANADIANS!”