HOWTO Make a giant spherical metalamp out of dozens of cheap Ikea lamps

10 Responses to “HOWTO Make a giant spherical metalamp out of dozens of cheap Ikea lamps”

1. Eric Carlson says:

This seems a little big for my apartment. But it is AMAZING!

2. Daemon says:

How very katamari.

3. Alpinwolf says:

Uber-bumble-ball Gundam Nova!

If someone turns on the wiggle switch, best clear the room….

I hate to be the pragmatic one but I REALLY hope he puts some good CFL or LED lightbulbs in there because replacing all the bulbs on that would be a huge pain in the ass! :)
    Really beautiful design though, great Instructable!

5. Parn says:

I wish there was Ikea in Brazil. I live in Brasília and I’m sure Ikea would be a huge success here. Coincidentally, the perfect place for the store isn’t far from where I live.

6. airshowfan says:

Well, technically, it’s dodecahedral… ;)

Parn, does Tok & Stok still exist? Wasn’t it pretty much the same thing? ;) (Yes, I know that the point of the global-modder-culture comment is that Ikea and its products are exactly the same all over the world, which is remarkable indeed).

7. Jacques says:

This kind of reminds me of a lamp I made when i was a kid (way back in the 60s) out of used coffee creamers that my dad would collect for me on his travelling salesman road trips. I loved that lamp, but it kind of smelled like rancid cream.

8. MarkM says:

Are these UL-listed?
    And, more importantly, can these be used as AD&D dice?

9. efalk says:

Looks like a rat king to me.

10. Oskar says:

BTW, if anyone is curious, “Lampan” is just “The Lamp” in Swedish (as in the the definite form of “lamp”). So “The Lampan lamp” means “The Lamp lamp”. Ikea’s names are funny like that. They’re the same all over the world, but many of them are clever Swedish phrases, so only us Swedes get the joke while the rest of you dunces are in the dark :)