Ponoko's Photomake Turns Your Drawings Into Objects

16 Responses to “Ponoko's Photomake Turns Your Drawings Into Objects”

1. License Farm says:

Other than being cute and custom, what sort of applications do you see this being applied to? I liked Bugs’ idea, though I wonder whether the material is that sturdy. And I can’t recall the last time I used a coaster made of anything tougher than posterboard.

Nevertheless, I think I’ll try giving it a whirl.

2. themindfantastic says:

When I read the headline I was thinking it was 3D Printing as opposed to 2D Cutting. I am not saying 2D Cutting is bad, just jumped the gun. I suspect someone might do the same with 3D printing eventually. But one has to crawl before one can walk.

3. osheri says:

Man, my 6 yo is going to flip out when he sees this. What a fun thing to do with kids artwork.

4. chroma says:

Big Blue Saw has had a similar feature for years:

5. KingOfCats says:

That’s pretty cool. The “costs” page won’t load right now but I hope it’s reasonable.

Don’t forget good ol’ emachineshop.com.

6. RadioGuy says:

@themindfantastic

For 3D, try Shapeways. Looks pretty cool, though does require actual 3D modelling skills.

BB mentioned them back in July.

7. KingOfCats says:

I went to bigbluesaw.com and got a warning from Norton that an attempt to attack my computer was blocked.

8. Evil Jim says:

It’s kindof a neat idea, but I think they could have used a better example for the video than a couple hastily drawn coasters. I really like
    BUGS’ idea of clock gears in comment #1.

9. Freddie Freelance says:

I’ve sent them a picture of my Death Ray; I expect to be holding the world for ransom withing the Fortnight!

10. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

This is cool.

11. LYNDON says:

I was thinking it was 3D Printing as opposed to 2D Cutting

Actually, I was look through their premade patterns and there’s plan for an acrylic reprap.

And I’d just like to point out this is run out of New Zealand. Thank you.

12. MrScience says:

#9 How else will the convection reach the condensation to promote evaporation?! ;)

13. Darran Edmundson says:

Slightly tangential but I’ve been meaning to try Pepakura, http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/, with my daughter for home “printing” of 3D paper models. While Pepakura isn’t free, unfortunately, it is quite cheap at $38. (To create the 3D models, the freely-available and powerful open-source program Wings3D, http://www.wings3d.com/, can be used.)

Disclaimer, I have no affiliation with either of the above-mentioned packages.

14. Bugs says:

This is [i]awesome[/i]. Precision-cut, home designed clock gears, anyone?

(Yes, I lack the tools and am too ham-fisted to cut my own)

15. porkchop says:

Coaster full of holes… Yeah, that’ll keep condensation from dripping onto the table surface.

FYI, this same offer was posted on Mashable but Ponoko informed me that it was wrong – it should read that the first 100 people to enter in the code while making their object will go into a DRAWING for free building/shipping. Not all 100 people will get it for free.