Abbey Ryan's painting-a-day blog

8 Responses to “Abbey Ryan's painting-a-day blog”

I draw a robot everyday, but this guy beats me hands down.

2. icefan13 says:

Her paintings are nice, but I notice that quite a few are look like they are copied pretty closely from Duane Kaiser’s Painting a Day blog paintings. I think he might be the person who started the trend.

3. Ian Forsyth says:

It’s not bad still life, but if its a “painting of the day,” I feel like I’m buying something mass produced. It’s sort of that icky, non-original feeling you get when you buy a Thomas Kinkade.

Ian

A friend of mine posts a new drawing at midnight every day at http://jumpsoverthelazydog.com/

5. historyman68 says:

@4 Ian Forsyth:

How about when you read BoingBoing’s (at least) one blog post a day? I know there’s a difference in that you’re not paying for a blog, but then again, nobody’s asking you to buy it.
    I feel the opposite of you – most serious artists do daily sketches, drawings, etc, so the only difference is that she makes one good enough to sell each day. And it’s a cool gimmick – when you buy “Fortune Cookie #2″, you’re also buying the October 6, 2008 Painting.
    I think there’s a misconception that art – maybe paintings in particular – have to be some sort of massive undertaking that consumes your very soul and expresses your deepest angst. Therefore, if you do one each day, your angst must not be legitimate. But sometimes a painting of a fortune cookie is just a painting of a fortune cookie.

6. historyman68 says:

@Wylkyn – cool paintings, even if he’s your brother.

7. wylkyn says:

My brother is an artist, and he does this kind of thing in his sketchbook. I’ve tried twice to get his website posted in BoingBoing, but I guess the powers that be either don’t like his work, or don’t like my attempt at nepotism. So I’ll settle for the pimping in comments version:

I think he’s a genius, but then I guess I’m biased.

8. turadg says:

I really like this blog, “!00 Days in the News”. Each day the artist opens her Google Reader each morning and finds a theme that emerges from different articles, then makes an artifact out of it.

My favorite so far is the Wall Street Cheerleader outfit based on news of the bailout and of a psychological study on positive feedback.