14 Responses to “Gaiman's Graveyard Book -- spooky, magical retelling of The Jungle Book in a graveyard”

1. Beanolini says:

#9:

Yes, I’ve heard those, and there is a CD of the Haydn stuff.

I’d still like to actually see and hear one being played live…

2. klobouk says:

Try adding cowbell to the lira organizzata mp3s from Takuan’s link. It’s a sublime match.

Also, I listened to the whole series of videos. Gaiman is an incredible reader, on par with the better voice actors who read audiobooks. Having the author read his own work felt more personal. I enjoyed it, may buy it, although I don’t really associate with many youngsters so chances are I won’t be spreading much word of mouth.
    I read about two-thirds of American Gods in pdf (not the official format released by his publishers) before finishing it off in hard-copy. Gaiman and Harper-Collins are definitely ahead of the curve on these things.

3. Tom Hale says:

This book sounds wonderful! I love books dealing with the paranormal. I’ll have to get my wife to order this one.

I’m just about to finish the third in Koontz’s series, Odd Thomas. To anyone that enjoys lighthearted books dealing with the paranormal, you’ll love this series. There are four books out now, plus a graphic novel.

4. clothingoptional says:

Just finished the Graveyard Book last night. Fantastic read. Kudos to Mr. Gaiman for another spectacular performance.

I’m going to read it again. This time to my kids.

We usually read Bradbury’s Halloween Tree at this time of year. I might be able to sneak both in before the 31st.

The link http://www.mousecircus.com/videotour.aspx doesn’t work any more. Their websites database is spitting up SQL errors.

6. ggm says:

“a Fine and Private Place” by Peter Beagle…

7. Agies says:

Ooooh! You can use it to create the foundation of the Gothscouts!

8. Beanolini says:

#2- Debcha:

In my experience, most people mean “barrel organ” when they say “hurdy-gurdy“, and have little idea of what a hurdy-gurdy sounds like or looks like. The hurdy-gurdy players I know seem to spend a large proportion of their life explaining to strangers what their instrument is, and how it works.

This is an example of how a hurdy-gurdy really sounds.

I’m confused – does NYT have a “young adult” list? I looked at the best sellers list and didn’t see The Graveyard Book there… http://www.nytimes.com/pages/books/bestseller/

I only checked because I LOVED The Graveyard Book and was interested to see the competition. I love Gaiman and I think this is one of his most enjoyable and readable works – I’ve been recommending it to all of my friends who can handle spooky. :-)

10. Beanolini says:

No, but I have heard a symphony, which is supposedly similar.

The hurdy-gurdy based instrument I’d most like to hear ‘in the flesh’ is a lira organizzata