Amputee ballet

15 Responses to “Amputee ballet”

1. Jamie Sue says:

Very beautiful. I love it when ballet, itself, is challenged by a less than perfect body form.

2. spook says:

reminds me of body_remix by Marie Chouinard, except of course the dancers in that weren’t actually amputees

3. azrael says:

Definitely brought tears to my eyes. Thank you for the link!

(on a lighter note, there’s also this guy and his awesome moves. He makes me want to get up and dance!)

4. urshrew says:

I love this…although I have to say something: if this guy can do ballet with one leg, what excuse do I have not to do, well, anything?

5. gnosis says:

Question – Does the audience normally clap at ballet? I haven’t been to one in a long time. It just seems odd – like clapping at an Opera mid-scene like it’s a circus. I seriously son’t know….

6. Takuan says:

Chinese audiences have their own conventions.

7. RJ says:

@12
    No, it’s generally poor form to applaud in the middle of a performance. But I believe this was more of a vignette; an exhibition of skill.

That said, I thought it was beautiful. The entire performance was nicely choreographed and tasteful. I liked how it seemed to end on a happy note. I was particularly impressed with the man’s grace. Not to say the lady wasn’t graceful, but I’ve never seen anyone make a simple crutch appear elegant like that. Beautiful.

8. Tenn says:

The crutch seemed more to me like- a rope, used to draw the woman nearer- a top-hatted dancer’s cane- it was a beautiful prop, but oh his balance!

I was particularly impressed with the man as well.

I fall down stairs for no reason whatsoever, and I have two mostly well-assembled legs. I am shamed.

Just kidding. Oh god that made me teary.

9. NicoNicoNico says:

Absolutely gorgeous. The moves he made with that crutch really awed me. His balance is also impeccable.

This especially hit home for me because I have a bad leg and require the use of either a cane, crutches, or wheelchair (depending on the situation). Before I got hurt, I danced ballet for a few years. Maybe I should try it again?

10. jackie31337 says:

Wow, that was incredible and moving! They are both amazing dancers, regardless of the number of limbs they have.

11. BBNinja says:

Wait a second…how old are they?!

12. jacoboy says:

wow look at those costumes. they must’ve cost an arm and a leg. aha, ha, ha……….no?

13. Takuan says:

do watch the video.

14. racerabbit says:

I saw this video a couple months ago and it is absolutely amazing! It opened my eyes to ballet as an expressive medium. Never much cared for it prior to this.

15. mcarrick says:

jacoboy, you’re going straight to hell for that comment . . . and so am I ‘cuz I laughed so hard I shot coffee out my nose!