Meat art show

27 Responses to “Meat art show”

1. The Lizardman says:

@ 22 Meat isn’t on deck, Meat Joy took place in 1964, it is already long past its moment as a shock element. IMO, it wasn’t really a shock element back then either. You seem overly dismissive. There is a lot of talent on display in many of these works.

2. marchorowitz says:

i made a spoof drawing of the meat suit guy (Zang Huan) for a show I had at Nuke Gallery called “At Least You Don’t Have It This Bad” – see it here http://www.flickr.com/photos/marchorowitz/2094688488/in/set-72157603400038388/ – chuckles and things!

3. anthony says:

Yeah. Sometimes controversy is a result of being brilliant, not the sole aim of an artistic endeavor.

4. Talia says:

Oh good, so now animals die not to even provide nourishment for people, but to be made into art.

*sigh*

Morally I kinda find this th equivalent of hunters who chop off deer heads and stick em on the wall, even tho the artists aren’t doing the killing themselves.

5. Chas44 says:

OK, um, EWWWW.

6. artmuller2003 says:

event homepage: http://www.artistpaintingonline.com.com This is an artshow

7. Antinous says:

I clicked the link and there was a pair of skinned nuts hanging on a hook. Don’t say that you haven’t been warned.

8. Takuan says:

there is no moral problem of waste if they used condemned meat.

9. jahknow says:

“Brave Clarice. You will let me know when those lambs stop screaming, won’t you?”

10. johnnyuber says:

This post brings me back to the old days before the first bubble ….

11. ill lich says:

Patron: “I very much like this piece here, and would like to purchase it. . . how much is it?”

Artist: “A pound of flesh.”

12. Hawkman says:

The chant is; Grill Baby Grill!

13. JNINLA says:

Well that stretched my boundaries.

14. kaosmonkey says:

Zhang Huan…It’s what’s for dinner.

15. Evan Rappaport says:

Meat is just the next shock art element to grab attention. Sex and religion have already been spent of their shock value. Meat is on deck. Actually since Damien Hirst, the biggest proponent of shock over quality has been using meat for years so really even meat is probably already passe’. Controversy is easy, talent takes work.

16. The Lizardman says:

I always loved Carollee Schneeman’s Meat Joy. It is great to see it have continued life some 44 years later.

For those complaining on the basis of the animals, they were already dead and butchered. Stopping art like this isn’t going to save a single creature, in fact pieces like this will generally only go to further the idea of not slaughtering animals if only by making meat less appetizing to some.

17. BBNinja says:

Pic reminds me of Carl from the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie after he got his skin ripped off and Dr. Wierd stole his muscles.

18. Bugs says:

Does anyone else feel the urge to unleash a few hungry wolves nearby and see what happens?

19. obliv1on says:

I’m all for the wolves and it’s not nearly as impressive as this feat.

Major ‘Invader Zim’ vibes there.

Zhang Huan’s work is amazing! I just caught his work at the Vancouver Art Gallery last month and on top of the meatsuit, he does these amazing busts of monks out of ash. It was really incredible.

22. mouthyb says:

But properly done controversy is quite a bit more difficult than just mechanical talent. You got to work hard to be controversial and talented.

*thibbbbtt* (sticks out tongue)

Don’t assume that shock and confrontation are not a result of talent.

Heather Weathers got there first:

See “Sweet Meat” at:

although wasteful, this art could be seen as a protest of the overly-carnivorous industrial food culture. I find this interesting and measurably less wasteful than operating one fast-food restaurant for one day.

25. GeekMan says:

I saw photo exhibit of works by Zang Huan (pictured above) at the Vancouver Art Gallery last month. I have to admit that I felt the “Meatsuit” was one of the highlights. :-)