Nick Knight's Fantasia

9 Responses to “Nick Knight's Fantasia”

1. pm says:

I usually love Nick Knight’s work, but I was underwhelmed by this video – the models really can’t quite move, in the sense that they don’t know how to.
    On the other hand, the clothes themselves make this a fascinating document, the only appropriate deep comment being: wow. that was worth it.

2. Bek says:

I’m kind of curious as how someone could fux0r up filming such a great concept, but by god, they did.

3. kiddr01 says:

“a mesmerising, full-throttle trip around the most sensational sartorial propositions of the past ten years”

talk about over selling something – that was just some chicks, in stupid clothes, wobbling about in front of a camera.

The world of fashion is so self important it infuriates me – it has the potential to be a genuine art form but the people involved in it are so focused on the lifestyle and the baubles that adorn it turn it into something completely vacuous.

They wouldn’t know real art if it came up and bit them on the ass.

4. rhys says:

‘scuse my ignorance, but what is the uncredited music?

5. andreinla says:

I’d like to reiterate KIDDR01′s

If you are really really high, that is.

The costumes look like less-imaginative and higher-cost-materials versions of what I see at Burningman. Except for the fact that the burner girls make their costumes themselves, can and do dance and possess soul, personality and awesomeness.

Here’s my review: “a display of anorexic soulless women in tastelessly weird attire, clumsily moving their too-long-for-comfort limbs to music that obviously doesn’t excite them, shot from ground level with a distorting wide-angle lens. Gimmick fashion at it’s most desperate. Keep your barf bag close. ”

6. Pipenta says:

All it claimed to be about was fashion, nothing more. And the outfits were sensational in that they were over the top. I agree that fashion is very trivial stuff. Yeah, this was just chicks in outrageous clothes, but what more did you expect it to be?

7. kiddr01 says:

i was expecting a mesmerising full throttle trip! :)

That was ridiculous. Those girls stumbled around like they were on something.

That being said, I can never understand the value of designers creating things that you, then, NEVER SEE IN THE STORE. Is it just a big pissing contest to see who can come up with the most ridiculous outfit? Then they all sit around at the bar, pop a few ‘ludes, and laugh about how funny it would be to actually try to SELL the stuff they make.

On a more serious note, I think they take this kind of fashion to an extreme, and then it gets broken down and toned down. If you look really hard, I bet you can see the influence of these sorts of outfits on the clothes you can actually, for seriously purchase.

9. Pipenta says:

Gee, I thought it was pretty nifty.