Fan powered flying car

40 Responses to “Fan powered flying car”

1. Eseck says:

Man rolls up in dune buggy into row of tricked out race cars and punk kids, “Hello Gents would you care to race?”
    “Sure old man” the punks reply
    “It’s a race then” the man states
    All the cars line up at the starting line, engines revving up waiting the race to begin. All the cars rip out from the starting line, the dune buggy left in the dust. But then a wing unfurls from behind the vehicle, and it takes flight.
    “Ha-ha-ha! Away! This race is WON!” the man yells, flying over the other cars now. The racing cars all slow to a stop, scratching their heads looking at the flying machine become a speck in the horizon.

2. arkizzle says:

YAY! This rawks!

Here’s a nice selection of concept/prototype pictures.

And no private pilot’s licence needed! Just one day’s tuition.

3. Daemon says:

And dunebuggies are officially cool again.

4. Matthew Mastracci says:

Amazingly you only need 35mph to take off. This beats the pants off the DeLorian’s 88mph, though it doesn’t seem to travel through time.

5. holtt says:

Geez like you want your average dune buggy, jet ski, snowmobile, four wheel drivein’ squirrel having a car that flies too…

6. Mojave says:

WOW!! check out this video of a guy floating above the clouds…this is what my dreams look like!!

7. cory says:

#6 – Doesn’t travel backwards through time? au contraire! It travels backwards to 1981, the year Mad Max 2 was released.

8. pseudonym says:

One mandatory accessory – rocket launched rescue parachute.

9. Itsumishi says:

The only thing that makes this slightly less than Super fucking awesome madness is the fact that you have to stop and ‘manually employ’ the parafoil.

Once they get that shit automated this thing will become my new car. Giving me a reason to go an get my licence back.

10. Mojave says:

Two words:

Awe.Some.

11. minamisan says:

Eat it, Paul Moller!

12. arkizzle says:

Minamisan,

Haha, that’s exactly what I thought :)

13. nanuq says:

“And no private pilot’s licence needed! Just one day’s tuition.”

There are people who shouldn’t be allowed to drive cars. Letting them into the air doesn’t thrill me.

14. dragonfrog says:

If I had £35,000 to £40,000 to spend on a completely pointless luxury item, this thing would just have become pretty tempting.

As it is, it’s really not even tantalizing – my luxury budget for the next year is missing a few too many zeroes…

15. minTphresh says:

want! did i say want? i meant WANT!!

16. Darren Garrison says:

These type things were a fad around here (South Carolina, can’t vouch for other areas) around 15 years ago. Every so often, you’d see something like a go-cart flying, or a guy with a fan strapped to his back. Hadn’t thought about them for years until I saw this article a few days back. At the time, I did some googling and came up with the term:

Also had forgotten about this guy that used one of the “strap the fan on your back variety:

(And yes, as Weird Al would suspect, you can find them on Ebay).

17. technogeek says:

Yeah, it’s not an ultralight and it has enough failure risk that I wouldn’t want it flying over densely populated areas.

On the other hand, it looks plausible enough that I’d be willing to risk flying it — if it gets a LOT of preflight/postflight inspection, as with any chute.

I’d like to think more about failure modes — OK, maybe it can glide down to a not-excessively-hard if it loses power, but I presume you would lose manuverability except via the old haul-on-the-shrouds approach. And thought needs to be given to what can/should be done if a shroud fails or the canopy develops a rip. (Part of the problem with ultralights, early on, was that they flew too close to the ground for available chutes to deploy in time to be much use as backup.)

18. theraptscallion says:

I think this may actually be safer than commuting on my motorcycle, and the engine parts are swappable, so I’m in for 2. The big problem for me is that this, like my bike, sucks to use in the rain sans plexiglass, but that shouldn’t be too hard to fix.

19. Itsumishi says:

Isn’t there quite a bit of distance between London and Timbuktu? I mean, especially for a vehicle that goes no faster than 80 mph? It would totally suck if this guys fan powered flying car crapped out right over the Sahara desert.

Yes there is quite a distance. Hence:

The team has spent £130,000 developing and attempting to make the Skycar desert-proof. The vehicle is in fact a modified Rage Motorsport off-road racing buggy, and will be followed by a support convoy including an eight-wheel truck, two Toyota Land Cruiser 4x4s and several motorbikes.

20. papiermeister says:

Must. Fly. Car…
    That thing is monumentally freakin badass awesome! I would so totally drive/fly this thing to some killer remote fishing holes and slay me some trouts!

21. gabu says:

Not as badass as my FANFIC powered flying car — just dump some 21 Jump Street stories in the tank and let ‘er rip!

22. jazzbo says:

I CAN HAZ FLYCAR?
    OH! I HAS SLIPPD TEH SURLY BONDZ OV EARTH
    AN DANCD TEH SKIEZ ON LAUGHTR-SILVERD WINGS LOL!,
    SUNWARD I HAS CLIMBD, AN JOIND TEH TUMBLIN ROFL
    OV SUN-SPLIT CLOUDZ – AN DUN HUNDRD THINGS
    U HAS NOT DREAMD OV – WHEELD AN SOARD AN SWUNG
    HIGH IN DA SUNLIT SILENCE. HOVRIN THAR,
    I HAS CHASD TEH SHOUTIN WIND ALONG, AN FLUNG
    MAH EAGR CRAFT THRU FOOTLES HALLS OV AIR.
    UP, UP TEH LONG, DELIRIOUS BURNIN BLU
    I HAS TOPPD TEH WIND-SWEPT HEIGHTS WIF EASY GRACE
    WER NEVR LARK, OR EVEN EAGLE FLEW.
    AN, WHILE SILENT, LIFTIN MIND I HAS TROD
    TEH HIGH UNTRESPASD SANCTITY OV SPACE,
    PUT OUT MAH HAND, AN TOUCHD TEH FACE OV CEILIN CAT.

23. uildaan says:

I wonder if anyone like the FAA or country equivalent will kick up a stink. I presume at 3000ft you come under alot of regulation??? anyone know anything about it?

24. Biscuit4 says:

British flying cars over the english channel ? Get a Russian sub ready to recover the asshole pilot. And get a Recovery team to save the Russian sub.

25. Lucifer says:

#10 – I totally agree! EAT IT MOLLER!!! That guy is just a rip off artist trying to con and scam investors for decades. His car will never fly wherease this thing has achieved flying car status with built in safety features. If your fan motor dies, you dont’ crash and die! you drift to the ground safely! The car is actually practical! the wings are lightweight and pack up into a small package! AND IT’S RELATIVELY AFFORDABLE!!!
    I love this.

26. andygates says:

I guess if it stays slow and low then it comes under the same rules as any other parawing…

(I *crave* a bicycle-driven parawing, but alas, the physics isn’t on my side: power-to-weight ratios are a bitch)

27. padster123 says:

I must have one NOW.

28. amuderick says:

In the USA there are a variety of FAA rules regarding this type of craft. Because of its weight (and fuel capacity) it doesn’t fall in the ultra-light category. If it did, there would still be rules about not flying over populated areas. The FAA has no problem letting people endanger themselves in flying craft, they just won’t put up with endangering passengers or the general public.

29. airship says:

I want a personal blimp like Santos-Dumont used to fly over Paris. He’d tether up and pop into a sidewalk cafe for a glass of wine and some stinky cheese, then climb back aboard and fly leisurely on his way. THAT’s the way to commute!

30. VagabondAstronomer says:

Timbuktu, why always to Timbuktu… why not Kinshasa, Marrakech or Kampala? Nooooo, always Timbuktu…

31. Purly says:

That’s beast. I want to make my own flying machine! <3

32. Cool Products says:

33. kmoser says:

If you thought a neighborhood of leaf-blowers was annoying…

Oh, and what kind of mileage does it get?

34. hscohen says:

“… The wing will … stay there, without weaving, at speeds of up to 80mph.”
    “It boasts … an air speed of up to 80mph.”
    So, when it reaches top speed, the wing collapses?

35. Nick Shogun says:

I don’t really want a car flying over my head.

36. Angstrom says:

the 80mph top speed is vertically downwards

;)

37. mdh says:

Last week, Obama wins. This week, flying cars.

This must be the future. I must be dreaming.

38. piepero says:

#24: No, the wing has a fixed speed, determined by its geometry. Applying more power will not accelerate the flying car, but only make it climb faster.

The wing’s trim speed can be changed within limits by the pilot (in the case probably from 35 mph to 80 mph) by adjusting line lengths (usually with a kind of pulley system).