Boing Boing Offworld launches!

27 Responses to “Boing Boing Offworld launches!”

1. LeavingHalfway says:

I think Chris meant having a offworld.boingboing.net subdomain, but I could be wrong. I’d kind of like to see it there as well, but hey, I like BoingBoing and don’t see the need for an entirely new domain.

2. claud9999 says:

Hey, can you guys make sure that if you x-post an article in offworld and boingboing, that you categorize it as such (or somehow identify as such in the text?) I read gadgets and the main blog and the x-posting is annoying and I haven’t figgered out a way to feedrinse it away for more efficient rss-ing…

3. Bavi_H says:

Consider showing the date/time of each post on the main Offworld page.

4. Cloudform says:

Didn’t see any credits for the design–who did the CSS and graphics? Looks great!

The Grim Fandango level design docs are a treat, as it’s one of my favorite adventure games!

5. David Pescovitz says:

CLOUDFORM, I love the design too! It was all Joel and Rob’s vision. Who knew, right!?!

6. grimc says:

Boing Boing: All your productivity are belong to us.

7. Rob Beschizza says:

I DRINK YOUR PRODUCTIVITY. SHSHCHSLSLHLHLLLPPPP.

8. PhiCancri says:

The moistness is overwhelming.

9. tiff says:

Hooray! Congratulations Brandonnn ^V^

Maybe it’s just my 40-year-old eyesight, but I find the text font on Offworld to be extremely difficult to read, even headache-inducing. I assume it was a design decision to carry over the pixelated-looking logo, but please please switch to a clearer font.

11. Glitterfire says:

Wow I was just hoping for a “boingboing gadgets” thing. This is great =]

12. Rob Beschizza says:

Cloudform, I got to do the HTML and CSS. Thank you! Joel was the driving force behind the look and feel, though, esp. the savage front-page metadata cull.

The markup got a bit mangled MT-izing it, but we’ll be neatening it up soon! I dare not even touch the validator.

Rob

13. Gareth Branwyn says:

If Offworld can do for gaming sites what BB Gadgets did for gadgets sites, BB world domination is assured!

LOVE (love, love) the name and the tag line.

14. Scuba SM says:

I have adopted the party position in celebration (and in hope of cake).

15. David Pescovitz says:

DEIDZOEB @26, No pouting. Of course we’ll cover non-electronic games now and then too!

16. Rob Beschizza says:

Oh, also, while the logo text is hand-pixeled, it owes a heavy debt of inspiration to Null Pointer, a font by Tom Murphy: it’s essentially a pixel font-version of same.

17. hotkey says:

Looks interesting, but the RSS feed doesn’t seem to work. And I _need_ RSS!!

18. SC_Wolf says:

A new life awaits you in the Off-world BoingBoing! A chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

19. Joel Johnson says:

RSS will be fixed shortly! Totally my fault.

20. pKp says:

Yeah, needz RSS nao.
    The first post are good, especially the L4D test. I’ve been waiting for this for a long time…Boingboing’s awesomeness combined with vidjagames = win.

21. hotkey says:

RSS is working – all is good in the world again!

22. Deidzoeb says:

This is another instance where the default meaning of the word “game” without modifiers has come to mean something played on a console or PC or otherwise electronic?

I don’t want to be the kind of old codger who shouts, “Hey you electronic kids, get off my tabletop pen and pencil lawn!” … but I’ll be over here pouting. Hoping that Offworld will sneak in occasional news of board games, card games and non-electronic games.

23. Nawel says:

I’m far from being a gamer -like one video card, one console and two gamepads away- but I wish you guys good luck with the blog.

24. A New Challenger says:

Sorry I’m late.

I suppose I should have seen this coming, given the sporadic outbursts on bbgadgets. Delightful!

Hopefully it will be a triumph, or at least we’ll get a neat gun out of it.

25. phoenix says:

HERE COMES A NEW CHALLENGER! :D

26. Chris L says:

I’m excited. But why the whole new address and not just connecting it to the main BB site like Gadgets and TV?

27. David Pescovitz says:

Chris, absolutely. We’re adding a tab on the main navigation bar, it’s just not there yet due to a tech glitch. Thanks!