27 Responses to “Voices of a People's History of the United States: Fantastic voice actors read the historic work of people who demanded justice from America”

1. snoid says:

“I can tell you haven’t read it either, you big phony. Now knock this off before your vowels start disappearing.”

Trs, s rthr thn th shnnng lght f fr spch y ppl hr clm t b, y r jst nthr blg tht wll bn ths wh dr t dsgr wth th prty ln. Sd, rlly.

And think what you want, I did read the book. I know it’s hard to believe that someone might not have the same opinion as you about it, but it’s true. The world is filled with people who don’t think like you. Imagine that.

2. Dan Freeman says:

My first thought was: ‘Great Christmas present!’

I read the APHOTUS in high school and found it quite inspiring – not just because of the lefty political slant (as any HS kid should be interested in) but simply because it was (and is) intended as a supplementary text exploring some of the lesser-known or unknown stories of our country – things that we should all have at least some idea of. In the newer age of blogs and a rapidly decentralizing (and thus further democratizing) of our primary news sources, this book was a precedent of alternative journalism.

Those who accuse Zinn of taking an ideological slant are not wrong, but that doesn’t mean the work is useless. The winners of wars and ideological struggles may get to write history, but that doesn’t mean the losers didn’t exist…

3. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Good try, Snoid, but I’ve read the book.

4. Teller says:

Well spoke, Freeman.

5. wolfiesma says:

6. buddy66 says:

The late great Studs Terkel? Another “America hating” [sic] socialist? Alert Srah Palin — they’re everywhere!

Both Zinn and Terkel — Redistributors!!

7. buddy66 says:

The SNOIDs and the ROEMUNs are attacking bookmobiles again. They don’t read books, they try to burn them.

8. snoid says:

“The best education class I ever took used the People’s History as a main text. Later, I used the some of the speeches in the Voices version as lessons with my own students. All of it is absolutely fascinating, and terribly depressing at times.”

Nah, teachers as whole are not liberals who are trying to indoctrinate their students. It’s just a myth. I wish a teacher of my child tried to use that book.

“Another terrific chronicler of the people’s history is Studs Terkel. I remember reading a slew of the interviews he did with union organizers and coal miners and others in his book, “Working.” In some ways you get a much clearer picture of history when told from an average person’s pov instead of just government and diplomacy.”

Zinn is in no way shape or form on the same level of Terkel.

9. querent says:

you’ve got to refute specific points.

where is zinn actually wrong?

(and don’t say there are no facts in the book. i’ve read it.)

if you call zinn/chomsky/churchhill “crazy” or “unamerican” you have not said anything.

10. zikzak says:

@snoid: You say Zinn is a joke and not on the same level as Terkel. But you’ve not made any substantial points. Please explain yourself better.

11. Grim Beefer says:

To say that A People’s History is “one long diatribe against America” just smacks of nonsense. Zinn certainly isn’t against Native Americans, African slaves, disenfranchised women, labor activists, and the like – or is that these people somehow don’t count as part of “America”? The America that I live in is not solely composed of robber barons, politicians, and military men. Furthermore, it is not the actions and interests of these elite few that constitute a national identity or history.

12. Shrdlu says:

I always thought this book should be required reading for anyone who wants to participate in our democracy. This is a great project.

13. roemun says:

If everyone read this book, and believed what is espoused in it, we probably wouldn’t have a democracy. Zinn is not a historian, but rather he is a socialist who molds his “history” to fit his own political proclivities. This book is a stark example of this America hating ideologue’s work, and serves, appropriately, as the American Left’s bible. I am quite sure Barack Obama would strongly endorse this propaganda, which is an indication that we need to gird orselves for the dark days ahead.

14. fg says:

Liberty and justice guaranteed to Americans, maybe…

15. buddy66 says:

Can’t he be a socialist historian?

Which historical events or occurrences has he “molded”?

16. insomma says:

Here we go again…

17. snoid says:

“What complaints would you make to a teacher who used A People’s History as a source?”

The reason I’d have an issue with using this book as source is that it’s not in any way impartial. If you are talking about using it in public school, I’d never stop trying to stop it’s use, university level, well as I remember you have to use what the professors make you use, unfortunately. Boy did I go a few rounds with my history professors.

“Have you read the book? What passages would you point out as worthy of criticism?”

“You say Zinn is a joke and not on the same level as Terkel. But you’ve not made any substantial points. Please explain yourself better.”

And to be clear here, so I’m not painted as some sort of Sarah Palin loving lunatic, I didn’t vote for W either time and voted for Obama this time around and I think the Iraq war was a big mistake. I just have ZERO tolerance for the Zinn’s and Chomsky’s of the world.

18. buddy66 says:

Sure, we’re going to hear from the same people who are still pissed off at 1st Lt. Howard Zinn for killing so many of their Kameraden ” during WWII.

19. robin_hood says:

@17:

“Yes, the entire book is one long hate filled diatribe against America. Not one passage the WHOLE book.”

errr….no

“Do you really need me to point out why Terkel is great writer? And why I would think Zinn is not?”

Good way to answer a question with a question

also, apostrophe abuse!

20. zikzak says:

@roemun: Hmmmm…Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

21. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Roemun @2:

Aha! Gotcha, Roemun. You haven’t read the book, and you have no idea what’s actually in it. You’re just spitting up a set of loony-right talking points you picked up on some other website.

In the edition I read, Zinn started out by explaining very clearly what he was up to. It wouldn’t be hard for you to read it too — it’s short, easy to find, and you can probably read it standing up in the bookstore, which will save you the cost of the book.

This book is a stark example of this America hating

Just in case I was in any doubt about where you picked up your canned opinions (I wasn’t), that bit nails it.

ideologue’s work,

Aw, sweetie, haven’t you figured out yet that you’re the rigid ideologue in this exchange?

and serves, appropriately, as the American Left’s bible.

Woo hoo! You really haven’t got a clue, do you? First, the American Left doesn’t have a bible. Second, what quite a few of them use as a bible is the Bible. Third, have you ever even met a leftist?

I am quite sure Barack Obama would strongly endorse this propaganda,

I see you’ve swallowed that batch of propaganda, too.

You can either look forward to eight or more years being wrong every five minutes, or you can acquaint yourself with the real world. I recommend the latter, but it’s your choice.

which is an indication that we need to gird ourselves for the dark days ahead.

Chill. There has to be a limit to how silly you’re willing to look.

22. snoid says:

“If everyone read this book, and believed what is espoused in it, we probably wouldn’t have a democracy. Zinn is not a historian, but rather he is a socialist who molds his “history” to fit his own political proclivities. ”

So true.. Zinn is a joke.

23. Cool Products says:

Weird coincidence, I picked the first edition of this book just yesterday at the library after seeing it on one of my favorite authors “favorite books list”. I’m only 50 or so pages into it right now, but I’m not really seeing ROEMUN’s view about Zinn molding the history to his own agenda. I mean, he use exact quotes to back up his content, and they seem so far to paint the picture pretty well. Specific incidences to look for in the book?

24. maxoid says:

man, is there anything less interesting than folks going ’round accusing others of “hating america”? inherently divisive behavior is surely more of an enemy to democracy than written accounts of the losing sides of various battles.

25. snoid says:

Robin,

errr….yes.

26. robin_hood says:

somewhat tangential, but for the geeks among you I highly recommend

A People’s History of Science: Miners, Midwives, and Low Mechanicks by Cliff Conner

27. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Snoid? Studs Terkel and Howard Zinn were engaged in very different projects. Thinking well of Studs Terkel (as we all do) doesn’t invalidate a word of Howard Zinn.

Also: