Poetry goes Boing!

27 Responses to “Poetry goes Boing!”

1. spatulalilacs says:

thank you, everyone.

feoteusnail, a sestina (also called by the hilariously awesome name sextrain) is a poem consisting of six six-line stanzas followed by a three-line stanza (the tercet). The same set of six words ends the lines of each of the six-line stanzas, but in a different order each time; if we number the first stanza’s lines 123456, then the words ending the second stanza’s lines appear in the order 615243, then 364125, then 532614, then 451362, and finally 246531. The six words then appear in the tercet as well, with the tercet’s first line containing 1 and ending with 2, its second 3 and 4, and its third 5 and 6. English sestinas are usually written in iambic pentameter or another decasyllabic meter.

You wanna ride the sextrain?

2. ck says:

Thank you Teresa for this wonderful challenge. It is obvious that you spent a lot of time and energy on thoughtfully considering each and every entry, with spot-on results and rankings.

Kudos! And let’s do that again!

…my favorite? HKDailo@130. Awesome first post.

3. arkizzle says:

oh gosh *blush*

4. minTphresh says:

teresa, killer contest! congrats to spatula and her/his sextrain! my fave was olaf’s omage to “the jabberwocky” . thankfully i read it before attempting my own lame version! however, i can haz honorable mention! now, hopefully, some cake!

5. arkizzle says:

MinT, I fear you shall never get your long lusted cake. Someday, my friend, I shall give you cake.. I promise.

6. FoetusNail says:

Congratulations to the SpatulaLilacs, what’s a sestina?

Teresa, thanks! Most Improved, in your face mom!

7. Oskar says:

Great contest Teresa! Do more of these! Not necessarily poetry, but other commenting-games.

So happy to get at least an honorable mention, even though my poem was kinda terrible :)

Kudos to the winner! That’s a great poem, a fantastic effort.

8. Deviant says:

Teresa,

Count me in the enthusiastically-approves-of-the-pastiche-game category. A relatively short word count would require spot-on mimicry.

9. Madeley says:

Very well done, SpatulaLilacs! That’s a really fantastic piece of work. And thanks for the kind comments on my own entry.

It’s good fun sometimes to wrap your head round strict poetry rules. Here’s something for anyone looking for a challenge: write in cynghanedd form. Tricky in Welsh, incredibly difficult in English.

10. buddy66 says:

#14Lumi the Valiant,

“I envy anyone who can hear the iambs.”

You wanna hear the iambs? Listen to your heartbeat; it beats iambically: ka-chunk, ka-chunk, ka-chunk….

You’ve been hearing/feeling iambs all your life.

11. Cloudform says:

What an exhaustive post! And as it should be, everyone put in a terrific entry.

Congrats, SpatulaLilacs! well-earned!

12. Tdawwg says:

Laurels to SpatulaLilacs! It’s an honor being in such distinguished company and whatnot, and your sestina absolutely rocks. Congratulations to the rest of us!

13. Cloudform says:

oops, cut off my last line as I enclosed it in html brackets:

–holding glittery egoboo trophy–

14. arkizzle says:

jfaehnle, awww :)

15. arkizzle says:

Well done all involved and a special well done to Spatula!

I was flabbergasted at the level of commitment, people really worked hard on this.

Also, a hearty thanks to Teresa for organising the game and finding a winner. The only thing left to say: More games please!

16. Lumi the Valiant says:

Well done SpatulaLilacs! I envy anyone who can hear the iambs.

And thanks to Teresa for the contest. I’m rather surprised to see my name up there. :)

17. triscuit says:

It was great fun reading through all the posts, and congrats to all who shared their poetry!

How about mish-mashing a short story from all of the headlines for a particular day? Extra points for correct chronology?

18. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Okay. Invent me some new comment games.

You guys were great. That’s an amazing thread.

I’m thinking about one I’ve seen played elsewhere, where you write pastiches of some designated author in the styles of other writers (the designated author that time was Tolkien), but don’t say whose style it is. Half the game was coming up with pastiches, and the other was competing to see who’d be first to correctly identify whose style was being used.

Or is that too arcane?

19. jfaehnle says:

just curious if anyone caught the meaning to the 2nd title of my poem, “Sex-Bot Villanelle or VW5yZXF1aXRlZCBMb3Zl.” Hint: Base64.

20. bardfinn says:

Teresa:

It’s arcane, yet fun. I used to do precisely that in chat rooms, and even wrote software that analysed style. (Though it is possible to do this in software, it’s not a trivial task.)

21. Cory Doctorow says:

HOLY FUCKING FUCK — those are so totally absolutely STONKINGLY brilliant! ZOMG.

22. Takuan says:

like that Neil Gaiman film noir Mother Goose?

23. minTphresh says:

arkie~! JOY! i shiver in antici….pation at your generous promise of cake.

24. buddy66 says:

Teresa,

That’s a wonderful idea, but get ready for a lot of Hemingway stuff. I’ve got a hunch boingers will use him as they did William Carlos Williams in the poetry game.

Isn’t it odd that the good doctor from Paterson would be so popular today? Did everybody have to read “The Red Wheelbarrow” and “This is Just To Say” in high school?

I never taught him.

25. hairfool says:

A fun game to play would be who can write an essay regarding Wordsworth’s and Clare’s poems against the Poor Laws and Enclosure. We could set the word limit to about 2000 words and entries need to be in by 3pm tomorrow or I am up a certain creek minus a paddle.

Just a thought :)

(K, back to my essay)

26. hairfool says:

Oh, and some great work was done in the poetry thread. Well done to all!

27. Mel Rodriguez says:

Thanks for the honourable mention! did anyone catch my Rickroll?