Iran, a Nation of Bloggers (video essay)

13 Responses to “Iran, a Nation of Bloggers (video essay)”

1. coop says:

For an interesting read, see the article on the CBC site where they discuss the fate of Hossein Derakhshan, a prominent Iranian blogger who was apparently arrested a week ago.

The article is available here: http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2008/11/20/blogger-iran.html

The Guardian has their take on it here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/nov/19/iran-middleeast

2. edealeasy says:

it’s cool!

3. shahryarrakeen says:

Excuse me If I’m suspicious of the motives behind the piece.

The current obsession with Iran is suspicious to say the least. This is the same way that Iraq was generalized as backwards and repressed, therefore in need of “enlightenment”.

There will be a presidential election this coming summer in Iran. If you really believe in change for Iran, support the reformists who have a better idea than the Washington think tanks.

4. DrBob says:

I’m a bit miffed about the comment that the web “allows many Iranians access to ideas and freedom of expression they haven’t had for close to thirty years.”

Whilst I certainly wouldn’t want to support the current Iranian regime let’s not pretend that Iran was some beacon of enlightenment and tolerance prior to the revolution. The Shah’s regime, supported by the ‘West’, was a violent and repressive dictatorship and the troubles of this country’s people goes back a lot further than 30 years.

5. Daemon says:

Cool music.

6. GregLondon says:

I don’t think Iran can be understood without understanding Operation Ajax from 1953, in which the US and Brits overthrew the democratic government of Iran, put the Shah in power as dictator, and kept him in power until the Iranian revolution of 1979.

They don’t hate us for our freedom.

They hate us because we put a dictator in charge of their country for a quarter century.

7. ktremills says:

The above comment is absolutely true — and is touched on in the video essay.

I’ve also written a blog – at http://www.scriptgrrl.com/blog talking about the inspiration for the piece.

8. corre says:

can anyone hint me, a statistics crunch, what the number one and two countries are? I’m guessing USA and… France…? UK…? Canada…? which one is the lucky one?

9. thentro says:

If you like the look of that, watch Persepolis.

10. Seg says:

A good friend of mine is currently doing a project called Send Love to Iran. It’s her search to bridge the cultural knowledge void of the people of Iran. It’s worth the look for anyone interested in a direct look to the people and art culture of Iran. Lots of video and photos of her trip to Iran.

In her words:
    “My name is BriAnna Olson, this blog is regarding my wanting to visit Iran, then visiting Iran, followed by my realization that the Western world has an largely inaccurate image of Iran. Pretty straightforward, really.”

In light of the Motorola post, I hope this doesn’t come off as too much of a shameless plug…

11. Kabur Naj says:

Coop @#8:

This story was also the main story on this week’s episode of CBC’s (now podcast-only) radio show Search Engine.

P.S. I always feel vaguely guilty about enjoying your artwork, but I suppose that’s kind of the point, isn’t it?

brief segments of this seem to be lifted directly from Persepolis.

uh like exactly

13. Ugly Canuck says:

Yeah IMO stories like this one are useful in preparing the public’s psych & emotions for the upcoming US “let’s display bi-partisan foreign policy” demonstration…in other words, for Obama & his Secdef Gates’ planned attack on Iran.
    Any secret special US Forces ops going on right now? Or are your “journalists” doing their “patriotic duty” by looking away, to enable another War?
    How do you distinguish between those Iranians it’s OK for the USA to attack or maim or kill and those who aren’t? Are only employees and civil servants of the State of Iran and those who actively oppose US control/diktaat over Iranian domestic policy “fair game”? Or is it only those Iranians who happen to live in Iran ? Or those opposed to the views of “freedom-loving” Iranians living in foreign exile?
    I think the USA/Western media should STFU about Iran, and and instead direct their efforts at getting NATO and the US Armed Forces to immediately stop killing Asians.
    This would show their humanitarianism, if not their usefulness….