Douglas Repetto's Squirrel Cages

15 Responses to “Douglas Repetto's Squirrel Cages”

1. Ernunnos says:

I think a certain Sting song would be massively improved if it were about squirrel cages…

2. benedict says:

u should one for the humans to ………. it will be great way of loose extra flab.

3. postliteracy_dot_org says:

You say that like it’s a bad thing?

4. Takuan says:

I see,I see, one turns the crank and eventually the exhausted gerbils are grated through the slats into a tasty topping. Most ingenious!

5. peapodrecordings says:

I’ve also never heard the phrase “squirrel caging”, but can confirm that a squirrel will circle the interior of a cage in a frantic and terrified search for escape. I mistakenly caught one while trying to rid our garden of a woodchuck with a havahart trap, and felt terrible about the trauma I caused it.

6. Grimnir says:

Not too often you see my hometown mentioned on the internets.

God I’m glad I don’t live there anymore. Though hey, they’ve got a fine squirrel cage now, so maybe I ought to go visit.

7. ibexy says:

There’s this large squirrel that comes to my back garden every time. He competes with the birds for the scraps of food that get chucked out from the window. From the way his tail waves, I know he is enjoying his daily excursions. He is wary of cat that always lurks around on the roof. That is minor compared to his worst fears. The horrible dream he had last night about being locked up in a cage.

8. avraamov says:

squirrels. bastards.

9. Takuan says:

aye, squirrels,hate ‘em. Tree rats with bushy tails. Nasty buck teeth, dripping plague fleas, gnawing your electrical wiring, chasing the cat, assaulting the elderly… filthy nut-stealing, fledgling-eating little vermin.

10. Pipenta says:

Funny, I’ve been dealing with PTSD for the last four years (think I’m finally coming out of it a bit) and I’ve often described my own mental processes as being a lot like a cage full of hamsters running frantically on hamster wheels. (Never heard of squirrel wheels.) When I would get stressed or triggered, it was like someone had put speed in the hamsters water bottles.

I think hamsters like to run on wheels though.

11. avraamov says:

hooked on cigarette butts. screeching, eating the helpless offspring of long suffering trees, stripping bark from struggling saplings. staring like idiots when you accuse them, rightly, of raping the countryside.

that deer was a friend of mine.

12. Takuan says:

“squirrel cage” as fan/blower pattern is a very old term.

13. Xeni Jardin says:

Two thoughts:

(1) I’d like a “squirrel caging” iPhone app, to accompany my frequent outbursts of compulsive, neurotic rumination.

(2) Yet another Boing Boing blog post which would benefit from the insertion of Yakety Sax.

14. sandalian says:

Can he put a generator to generate electricity on that squirel cage?