Best book covers of 2008

9 Responses to “Best book covers of 2008”

1. Austin Grossman says:

Everyone warned me how hard it would be to get a good cover design. Between the US and UK covers I feel like I won the lottery.

2. doublethink says:

I love the design on Maps & Legends. Each color is layered over each other, so you can take it apart and explore each scene and notice all of the great little touches and nuances. I really enjoy the style too, it inspired me to start sketching again in that great, 2d micro detail style.

3. Halloween Jack says:

That must be the UK cover of Soon I Will Be Invincible. That’s a great visualization of BlackWolf.

4. dculberson says:

Wow, that Make Room! Make Room! cover is stunning.

5. melissa says:

i keep a copy of “sharp teeth” (mentioned on the list) by my bedside if only because i love looking at it.

6. wolfiesma says:

I finally started reading Someday I Will Be Invincible last night and its really good. Its funny and earnest at the same time, which are two things I wouldn’t have expected from a story in the superhero genre. I really hope Austin Grossman will stick around on BoingBoing. That way I can tell my mom the hours of blog browsing I do every day is in the company of acclaimed authors! And all the NYTimes lists of notables that Cory keeps winding up on really help the cause. Thank you!

7. wolfiesma says:

I picked up a copy of “Soon I Will Be Invincible” based on the cover design alone. But instead of a box of comic books, my cover looked like this:

8. Secret_Life_of_Plants says:

The cover of “The Work of Art in the Age of Mechanical Reproduction” is pretty good. Also easy for people to stock the shelves with it.

9. bibulb says:

I SWEAR I saw the Harrison cover someplace a while ago (like, over a year) – or it was on another Ehrlichian dystopic book. Ah, the power of deja vu.