Imaginary Foundation's new dresses

12 Responses to “Imaginary Foundation's new dresses”

1. Silona says:

A friend had these on at the hacker conf and they are very soft and breathable…

I am a texture freak…

2. gretagretchen says:

I might have liked these if they came in anything besides skinny bitch size

3. nerdkiller says:

i’m sorry. these are awful.

4. a_user says:

They look like they came out of a McPhoto print and came in a set with a matching mousepad, calendar and mug.

5. DefMech says:

Not sure why, but their designs look faaar less tacky on a dress than on a t-shirt. The outfit on the left is actually kinda nice.

6. Stewart Haddock says:

These remind me of those Rush Limbaugh ties.

7. elNico says:

“Also, he wouldn’t brag about it, but Imaginary Foundation artist Nick Philip is one of the people who pioneered that surreal Photoshop aesthetic.”

I wonder how that could be possibly determined with the amount of similar work out there for many many years across the globe. Photoshop just lends itself to this style so obviously and has been easily accessible since version 4…

That’s not to diminish Nick’s work at all…it still takes the imagination and aesthetics, no matter what the tools and I really like quite a few of the T-shirt designs.

A friend of mine has been importing these for her store here in Australia for a couple of years now – I only recently noticed the BoingBoing connection.

8. frankiefourfingers says:

surrealism belongs on walls. only skanky girls would wear this.

9. Noelegy says:

Not only do I love the design on the right, I am loving the redheaded model’s shoulder tattoo.

10. Noelegy says:

Frankiefourfingers, that’s kind of horrible. I’m not even sure most “skanky girls” would even understand what surrealism is.

11. Tensegrity says:

This reminds me of the contestant on last season’s Project Runway who inexplicably described her style as surrealist.

To me, the ubiquity of Photoshop has rendered visual surrealism a quaint/nostalgic folk art like quilts and matryoshka.

12. David Pescovitz says:

TENSEGRITY @3, I hear you, but I think digital technology has yielded new opportunities to present, and even live within, visual surreal realities. That’s why I think the ideas of the surrealists are more relevant than ever. Also, he wouldn’t brag about it, but Imaginary Foundation artist Nick Philip is one of the people who pioneered that surreal Photoshop aesthetic.