Sesame Street international CD and DVD

10 Responses to “Sesame Street international CD and DVD”

1. travelina says:

I like the “Rubber Duckie” sung in Chinese.

There’s a Smithsonian traveling exhibit called “Jim Henson’s Fantastic World” that’s at the Atlanta History Center at the moment, then moving on to Orlando, Seattle, Doylestown PA, Jackson MS, Lexington MA, Fresno and Chicago by 2011. It’s a great show:

2. MichaelRN says:

Here’s a really good documentary about the production of Sesame Street in several different countries.

3. porkchop says:

Translated lyrics from the ‘Ricas Frutas’ song/video:

“If you want to be a big and strong boy/
    And for the girls, a princess must be intelligent…”

What, girls can’t be big and strong? Boys can’t be intelligent?

I’m a little disappointed that Sesame Street is enforcing gender stereotyping in Mexico.

4. Kieran O'Neill says:

w00t! I see Takalani Sesame (the South African version) is right on the front cover.

It’s been a very interesting vehicle for transformation within the country. It’s also not been shy about tackling some pretty heavy issues – they’ve even had an HIV positive muppet.

5. peruvianllama says:

Boys can’t be big and strong? Girls can’t be intelligent and princess-like?

It’s a kids’ song. They’re hardly going to delve into the myriad of possible roles that each child may or may not play in their future society. Keep things simple – and rhyming – and the kids are usually smart enough to fill in the gaps of logic on their own.

6. Crubellier says:

Bonus awesome – did you know that Ian McDonald writes scripts for the Northern Irish offshoot, Sesame Tree?

7. Bego says:

I love Putumayo records and this one. My 3 year old daughter has just loved the videos and wants to see them again and again. Definitely, one of the presents we’ll buy this year.
    A side note: being a (picky) native Spanish proofreader, I would just love if you changed “Putamayo” (wrong spelling, and meaning “may prostitute” in Spanish) to Putumayo. this company’s real name. :-)

8. JMillerBoston says:

I’m gonna pick this up. My 2-year old is learning words like crazy, and she’ll love this. Should be a great way to introduce the idea of music in other languages…they get a little of that going on Sprout, but I’m always looking for new stuff to listen to with the TV off.

So far, she’s more concerned about rockin good beats than gender bias and politically correct rhymes. Eventually, her priorities will change, but for now it’s all in the rhythm baby!

9. pollyannacowgirl says:

Putumayo makes terrific CDs for children. And adults. If I ever stumble onto enough money, I will buy every CD they make.

10. Giraffe says:

AWESOME! thanks for posting.

heres a cool rock and roll version of sesame street song (dont mind the name): http://www.myspace.com/bigolhairypussy

cheers