Rube Goldberg Machine animation from Sesame Street

18 Responses to “Rube Goldberg Machine animation from Sesame Street”

1. Blaine says:

Looks like this video supports sex, violence and tobacco use…

I’m outraged they show this to children.

2. GeekMan says:

#1 – I also was wondering if anyone else saw Gertie.

3. Anthony says:

Weird sensation watching this … The audio triggered strong memories — the letters matching the sound effects — but I have absolutely no recollection of the images at all! Anybody else experience this?

4. Takuan says:

a bird flies in through an open window from the dark and fleeting, passes through the warmth and light of the room and then out a window into the dark.

misshallelujah, I realize this is almost half a year from when you posted your comment, but the video you are referring to, with the red ball counting 1-2-3 is here:

6. misshallelujah says:

Brilliant! I remember these from a great time watching Sesame Street as a child. I also recall, with great fondness, a segment where they had a little red ball going down a whole series of tracks and tunnels teaching kids to count “1, 2, 3″… but I have never been able to find videos of it again, ever.

But speaking of Rube Goldberg machines, though, I must plug this series of delightful contraptions used as eyecatches on the Japanese kids’ show Pythagoras Switch: Part One, Part Two. I never get sick of watching them. My personal favorite is the one in which they used a whole series of water-filled glasses to play the theme ditty. Awesome!

7. sammich says:

Well… in the UK this would be instantly defined as a Heath Robinson contraption…

Check out wikipedia to see who came first, if that matters…

whichever it is, there should be more of it…

8. alisong76 says:

Oh, memories!

9. Frank W says:

@ Blaine: That’s irony, right?

10. dhasenan says:

This doesn’t really fit my definition of a Rube Goldberg machine — for instance, why would bubbles rising from a vat of liquid cause a person to start playing a saxophone?

It’s a series of unrelated things happening in a temporal sequence that happens to match, more or less, the spacial sequence of those events. Nothing more. Sorry.

11. wolfiesma says:

MissHallelujah,
    Were you remembering the classic pinball sequence with the funky soundtrack? This is a compilation of all the different clips of that sequence. It also has some pseudo-Rube Goldberg elements.

12. airshowfan says:

But can it go downwind faster than the wind?

13. Robbo says:

Oh man! Major flashbacks.

I loved when they did the retro-pseudo 1920′s almost Fleischer stuff – good to see Gertie make an appearance in there.

What I’ve always loved was the Patty Cruickshank animations from “Make A Wish” – which is impossible to get on video. The best writing in children’s television – EVAR!

Kthnxbai

14. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Beautiful! I wonder who did it?

Does anybody out there remember the pinball number count on sesame street as non animated? Me and my hubby remember watching it but it wasn’t a cartoon it was all real!

Just as I started this video, I heard Mungo Jerry’s In The Summertime start in the other room and it fit perfectly.

17. Blaine says:

Frank: It might be… I don’t know any more.

I’d say ‘yes’ but then we’ll get smacked down by someone with the real definition of “irony” – which is pretty specific.

Sarcastic is a safe word. For both our purposes and rough sex play.

18. Johnny Cat says:

I remember this, vaguely. But all I could think of when the crucifix showed up was “T. T is for turtle.” via Barbrady.