Boing Boing Charitable Giving Guide -- the 2008 edition

49 Responses to “Boing Boing Charitable Giving Guide -- the 2008 edition”

1. BlackPanda says:

I would like to second NO2ID as vitally important, being an active member of the organisation myself.

You’ve got most of my favourites up there, but I would also add :

Privacy International (UK)

Privacy International (PI) is a human rights group formed in 1990 as a watchdog on surveillance and privacy invasions by governments and corporations. PI is based in London, England, and has an office in Washington, D.C. We have campaigned across the world to protect people against intrusion by governments and corporations that seek to erode this fragile right. We believe that privacy forms part of the bedrock of freedoms, and our goal has always been to use every means to preserve it.

MAPS (Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies) (US)

The Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies (MAPS) is a membership-based non-profit research and educational organization. We assist scientists to design, obtain approval for, fund, conduct and report on research into the healing and spiritual potentials of psychedelics and marijuana.

With sound research results, psychedelic psychotherapy and medical marijuana research have the potential to help millions of people in alleviating the pain, psychological distress and other symptoms of such illnesses as cancer, AIDS and addiction. Research will also help us to better understand our human potential and bring the tools of science to the study of spirituality, meditation and mental functioning.

Campaign for Dark Skies (UK)

The CfDS aims to preserve and restore the beauty of the night sky by campaigning against excessive, inefficient and irresponsible lighting that shines where it is not wanted nor needed.

We believe that light should only shine where it is needed and wanted, and no-where else. Doing so is both easy and cost-effective – and with significant health and safety benefits.

Much wasted light shines up into the sky, causing the visual orange “smog” that hangs over towns and cities at night, intruding into the countryside, and destroying our view of a star-lit sky.

This Light Pollution is a visible and needless waste of resources, which contributes to global warming – hundreds of millions of pounds worth of electricity is wasted each year in the UK alone through poor lighting.

Because astronomers are the most sensitive to the effect of light pollution, the CfDS is a sub-section of the British Astronomical Association, although our membership is made up of a wide range of people, from lighting engineers to astrophysicists.

2. sciencemike says:

KIVA.org is a great site for micro lending to entrepreneurs in the developing world.

3. igzabier says:

T.R.A.S. trans-himalayan-aid-society-daycare and aid for Tibetan refugees and Tibetans in Tibet(very good all donations go direct to aid projects, you can even specify which)

SEVA-like, naturally

4. jonathan_v says:

This is a great list of extremely worthy non-profit and public-interest organizations to donate to, but I find it entirely misleading and somewhat insulting to call the bulk of them charities.

Simplest put, the universally accepted definition of charities is orgs that help the needy. The only orgs listed above that do that are Sobrevivientes, CRY, and Hospice.net

5. Cory Doctorow says:

Jonathan, that’s a far from universal definition. In the US, “charity” typically means “in possession of a 501(c)3 charitable tax-status.

6. Ryan Waddell says:

Like #2, I also gave to Child’s Play this year.

7. mdh says:

I only give to organizations that don’t spend my money on raising more money.

Before the TV show on Discovery, had many of you heard of the Sea Shepherds? They’ve been my group of choice since the early 1990′s. They DO things.

Efficient? no. Inspiring? HELL YES.

8. Strabo says:

I’d like to add a second mention for Médecins Sans Frontières / Doctors without Borders. The MSF is ten times the organization that the Red Cross is. Their administrative overhead is minuscule compared to the Red Cross. More importantly, MSF goes places that the Red Cross ignores. Their work is incredibly vital and needs all the support they can get.

9. iskelton says:

Drug Policy Alliance (US)

DPA is the nation’s leading organization working to end the war on drugs. We envision new drug policies based on science, compassion, health and human rights and a just society in which the fears, prejudices and punitive prohibitions of today are no more.

Mission and Vision

The Drug Policy Alliance envisions a just society in which the use and regulation of drugs are grounded in science, compassion, health and human rights, in which people are no longer punished for what they put into their own bodies but only for crimes committed against others, and in which the fears, prejudices and punitive prohibitions of today are no more.

Our mission is to advance those policies and attitudes that best reduce the harms of both drug misuse and drug prohibition, and to promote the sovereignty of individuals over their minds and bodies.

10. javanaught says:

Yh, Th CL s grt plc fr thsts t gv n Chrstms!

ll ths chrts r s mch mr mprtnt thn fdng nd clthng ppl wh r gng t d nywy.

Thy cn blg bt hw mch t hrts t d f strvtn r t hv ds.

Gd jb BB~!

11. Vaguery says:

Please also consider donating or volunteering with the Distributed Proofreaders Foundation, who have far less in terms of resources than Project Gutenberg, but who volunteer their time to make sure the submissions to PG are proofread and accurate, not just OCR junk like the early “classic” PG archive entries.

Distributed Proofreaders has provided the majority of files in the Gutenberg archive for several years, and those in turn are used by Librivox and dozens of other open-access and for-profit organizations.

If you want to actually help the commons grow, think about starting at the bottom of the pyramid, not the top.

12. Cory Doctorow says:

Yeah, unlike religious charities like the Salvation Army that deny same-sex spousal benefits to their long-term workers who get sick or die on the job. There’s the spirit of Christmas right there for ya.

13. Michelle says:

Bookshare.org by Benetech dramatically increases access to books for the community of visually impaired and otherwise print disabled individuals. This online community enables book scans to be shared, thereby leveraging the collections of thousands of individuals who regularly scan books, eliminating significant duplication of effort. Bookshare.org takes advantage of a special exemption in the U.S. copyright law that permits the reproduction of publications into specialized formats for the disabled.

14. monkeygirl says:

You can get a two-fer if you adopt an animal with the World Wildlife Fund. They have an option where you can donate the stuffed animal that comes with the donation to Toys for Tots.

15. jredmond says:

I’m very surprised nobody has mentioned the Wikimedia Foundation, which operates Wikipedia, the Wikimedia Commons, and several other wiki-based free-content projects.

16. jonathan_v says:

@cory #10

Look up charity in a dictionary – it refers to helping the needy every time.

A US 501(c)(3) is not a charity , but a non-profit organization. You can read the full text of the law here http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode26/usc_sec_26_00000501—-000-.html

(3) Corporations, and any community chest, fund, or foundation, organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable, scientific, testing for public safety, literary, or educational purposes, or to foster national or international amateur sports competition (but only if no part of its activities involve the provision of athletic facilities or equipment), or for the prevention of cruelty to children or animals, no part of the net earnings of which inures to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual, no substantial part of the activities of which is carrying on propaganda, or otherwise attempting, to influence legislation (except as otherwise provided in subsection (h)), and which does not participate in, or intervene in (including the publishing or distributing of statements), any political campaign on behalf of (or in opposition to) any candidate for public office.

17. SamSam says:

Pyros:

I prefer giving cash directly to those who are in need.

Why? Even if all you want is to feed the homeless, is giving directly to homeless people on the street better that giving to a soup kitchen?

I’d say certainly not. For one thing, economies of scale are much more efficient, even when you take into account overhead. If I had $30 to give out, I could either hand out enough individually for six people to have one hot meal, or give a soup kitchen enough for at least ten people, or more if their overheads are low (I could make a soup on $25 for at least 20, and have).

18. Cory Doctorow says:

So a “charitable trust” is always one that helps the needy? There are dozens of the things around here that take on tasks like maintaining old graveyards or cleaning up the parks.

We can argue about this all day, but it won’t change the fact that I personally know dozens and dozens of people who use “charity” and “nonprofit” or “public interest group sustained by donations.”

19. SamSam says:

A second call for people to look at kiva.org

Microloans can make a real dent in poverty, and can help bootstrap small local economies. Kiva.org makes it so simple to contribute to microloans by loaning just $25, and the default rate is under 2%.

And because the money stays in the system unless you ask for it back, it’s really easy to keep using that same money to do good: in just a few months, I’ve made $150 worth of loans using only $90.

My other charities, looking at my history from CharityNavigator:
    – Central Asia Institute (see Kristof’s column in the Times, “It Takes a School, Not Missiles)
    – Doctors Without Borders
    – RARE
    – Feeding America (was Second Harvest)
    – Global Hunger Project
    – Conservation International Foundation
    – Center for Biological Diversity
    – Greater Boston Food Bank (charity starts at home, after all)

20. mumbai girl says:

I wonder if you looked at http://www.giveindia.org ? CRY in India does good work but does not disclose their cost of fundraising.

GiveIndia tells you up front that their cost of fundraising is 9.1% which is one of the lowest in the entire industry. And US as well as UK donors get tax benefits.

Check it out.

21. mdh says:

#18 – Look up charity in a dictionary – it refers to helping the needy every time.

Look up pedantry while you’re in there, it refers to the self-flagellation of needy intellectuls.

22. Cory Doctorow says:

First result in Google for “define:charity”:

“a foundation created to promote the public good (not for assistance to any particular individuals)”

23. Apreche says:

Because my financial situation is stable I’m giving more this year, as you know the charities will be getting less. I’m just wondering a couple things.

One: Why didn’t BoingBoing list Child’s Play?

Two: While I am very much a fan of the work done by Creative Commons and EFF, do you really put them on the same list as CRY or Amnesty International? I would gladly surrender the battles over copyright and DRM if it meant we could win out on human rights and poverty. Priorities.

24. Cory Doctorow says:

Other definitions:

“This is a nonprofit organization providing a public service as defined by the Internal Revenue Code Section 501(c)(3).”

“A legally incorporated nonprofit organization that operates for the public benefit and has federally registered charitable status Charitable status allows an organization to issue tax receipts for donations, and involves rules and regulations about governance, advocacy and operations that may …”

“as a noun, refers to a kind of non-profit organization that solicits and is able to accept donations or gifts from individual and corporate donors. A registered charity is a charity which has successfully applied to the federal government under the Income Tax Act for charitable status. …”

“an activity or gift that benefits the public at large”

25. CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

For anyone who lives in Calgary, you can always donate to CJSW (http://www.cjsw.com/), the local community / University of Calgary FM radio station! They also broadcast over the intarwubs, if you non-Calgarians are interested. Not sure if they’re doing a funding drive right now, but they wouldn’t turn down donations.

Also, The Canadian Diabetes Association does a year-round program called Clothesline (http://www.diabetes.ca/get-involved/supporting-us/clothesline/), where you can donate clothing and household items. They’ll even pick it up from your domicile! Granted, they then give your donation to Value Village, but in exchange they get money for diabetes research, education, service and advocacy.

26. Teller says:

Like some of the suggestions here. I also like the Salvation Army, but my dough goes to Doctors w/o Borders.

Friend was once gonna do some writing work for Doctors. Went to their office in NY. They asked him to wait in the conference room. It was kind of messy – used paper cups, plastic forks, paper plates and a half-eaten supermarket cake. When the Doctors’ folks arrived, they apologized for the mess. That morning they’d had a party celebrating their Nobel Prize.

27. Takuan says:

people should quit quibbling about definitions and just mention what they think are worthy recipients.

I like BB for many reasons. The lists here are one of them.

28. Sekino says:

#18 Jonathan V

Look at your own definition:

Scientific, literary and educational purposes don’t ‘refer to helping the needy’ (not directly anyways). And plenty of charities on Cory’s list have the main purpose of promoting, furthering literacy and access to information and technology (=science, education).

More importantly, why are you so offended and pushing this ‘tomato-tomatoe’ argument?

29. David Bruce Murray says:

“Any charity that gives you soup and a sermon at the same time is more interested in giving you a sermon than in giving you soup. Real charity doesn’t come with strings attached.”

You think that’s a “string attached” that negates the fact that they’re giving charity??? If I’m hungry and have nowhere else to go, I can certainly listen to a sermon in exchange for free food.

In contrast, try getting something as basic and essential as food for free with less hassle out of a government run Department of Social Services.

Most charities either screen or ask you to hear them out on their worldview.

In the end, they’re helping people who can’t afford to help themselves, and that’s what is really important.

BTW, I’m totally with #11 MDH on the issue of only giving to charities that don’t spend too much of the money that comes in on fund raising. That’s one reason I support Southern Baptists and their World Hunger fund. Their fund raising efforts are made using un-designated money that comes into the Southern Baptist coffers. All contributed money that comes in designated to the World Hunger fund is used to feed hungry people. Tell some of those hungry people they aren’t receiving “real” charity, and they’ll rightfully laugh.

30. Pyros says:

I prefer giving cash directly to those who are in need.

31. mdh says:

You teach guys to beg outside grocery stores?

heh, sorry.

32. Simon Greenwood says:

That’s my corporate charities decided for this year. ORG may well have just come into its own in the last week as it pretty much uncovered, promoted and opposed the IWF adding a Wikipedia page to its blocklist, in a related way, NO2ID is becoming more important now that cards are being issued, and MySociety is actually working from the inside to make our increasingly slapdash government more accountable with the tools it provides and the information it releases. Plus, the ORG list had an epic win this week with a rambling thread that ended in the almost inevitable comparison to Nazi Germany, which lead to the repost ‘our corporate lawyer *is* Mike Godwin’.

No2ID is unfortunately not a charity – I tried to give them some money from my CAF account, and they told me that since they are counted as having a political objective, they cannot be classified as a charity. Any money given to them will not be treated a charitable giving for tax purposes.

34. OneTB says:

I never tire of having this blog at work. My family has been quite insistent about getting me gifts for Christmas, though I do not celebrate. Why it did not occur to me to have them donate is beyond me.

35. Lobster says:

Thank you so much for posting this, Boingboing. Finally, I have a link to use when my conservative sparring partners argue that religion is a requirement of altruism or morality!

36. Steven Stwalley says:

Cory! You forgot the most important charity of all… The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (cbldf.org). I want my funny books protected!

37. David Bruce Murray says:

#39 – Good point. I responded to what I viewed as a ridiculous statement above, but what I said could have probably been better expressed on my own blog or in some other forum. This BB article is about giving to charity, and some of the comments, my own included, may have tainted the spirit of the article.

Here’s a link to the charity I mentioned in my earlier comment:

Here’s a blurb from the website addressing why the World Hunger fund is the best way to put 100% of your contribution to work for good:
    “Only the Southern Baptist World Hunger Fund uses 100% of all contributions to feed hungry people. (Personnel are already in place; thus, administrative and promotional costs are borne out of other budgets.)”

38. Takuan says:

or socks.

39. TheOceaneer says:

As money is tight, my only charitable giving for this year went to Child’s Play. Buy video games for sick kids.

40. Ceronomus says:

PPNOM.org – Pirates for the Preservation of New Orleans Music
    Raising money to replace school music program instruments destroyed by hurricane Katrina by selling fundraising CDs. A favorite charity of mine.

Also not tax-deductible, but a cause I find worthy of my support, is UNESCO (the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization).
    “For this specialized United Nations agency, it is not enough to build classrooms in devastated countries or to publish scientific breakthroughs. Education, Social and Natural Science, Culture and Communication are the means to a far more ambitious goal : to build peace in the minds of men.”
    I do not trust my government to support this fabulous organization adequately, and want to give money directly.
    It was surprisingly difficult to find out how to give UNESCO money directly, although some of its projects do have “donate” buttons.
    What I finally figured out to do is send a check directly to:

UNESCO New York Office
    2 United Nations Plaza
    DC2-900
    New York, NY 10017

42. davotoula says:

One for the Tiny Tickers

“Detecting heart disease before birth can change lives.”

43. scbr says:

Add my vote for Kiva but also a vote for Best Friends. In both cases you can do a lot with very little…

44. Berto365 says:

WhatEVER you do, don’t donate to the Salvation Army. They have a TERRIBLE anti-gay, and anti-union history. Read more about it here:

• Antinous says:

Is it just me, or does the Salvation Army take men who beg outside liquor stores and teach them to beg outside grocery stores? The same guy has been working my grocery store for the eight years that I’ve lived here.

45. mikel says:

My preference this year in Canada is Give Something Big from Inter Pares. They don’t have as high a profile as many of the organizations listed above but I really like their philosophy and approach.

46. General Specific says:

I’m gifting some sheep through Heifer International.

47. Antinous says:

I know a fair few people who don’t like humans that much, but love animals. They’re never going to give to AIDS research, but they will give to the SPCA. Some people give all their money to preserve historic architecture or personal freedoms. People have different priorities. It’s good that there are charities for everyone to give to.

48. figment88 says:

Why can’t BoingBoing ever get this right.

Amnesty.org is not a US charity. That is the website for the International/UK organization. Amnesty USA is an affiliate but separate organization. It is located at http://www.amnestyusa.org/