Boing Boing tv Week in Review

20 Responses to “Boing Boing tv Week in Review”

1. JoshuaTerrell says:

I’m thrilled that you’ve used that picture of the restrained suspects as an link to an article about human rights abuses.

Very subtle, I suppose you would like to have the suspects transported in fluffy pink handcuffs, with pillows and an in-flight movie?

Just keep in mind: War is Hell.

• Xeni Jardin says:

@Joshua Troll: The UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights was signed 60 years ago this week. We’re airing these WITNESS videos on BBtv as a commemoration of that document, and all that it stands for. Are you aware that it was a reaction to atrocities committed by the Nazis, and other warring parties, during WWII? The point then, and now, is: human beings have inalienable rights, as human beings. War does not excuse torture, rape, or abuse of detainees who may or may not have committed any crimes and may not have even been combatants. Seriously, you ought to read the UNDHR and learn a little history before popping up here to slam WITNESS.org’s valuable work.

2. inerxia says:

Cada vez que leo Boing Boing encuentro una hermosa imagen de una hermosa escena de un hermoso pais de latinoamerica. No mas!
    Por Favor.

Everytime I read Boing Boing I find a beautifull picture of a beautifull scene from a beautifull country from latinoamerica. Stop it!
    Please.

3. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Homesick, Inerxia?

4. Antinous says:

You don’t even bother pretending that they’re criminals. Face it, you’re just into it.

5. Antinous says:

Joshua Terrell,

I’m utterly confused. Are you saying that you like the picture? And if you like it, is it because it’s a good representation of human rights abuses or because you just like looking at pictures like that? And the part about the fluffy, pink handcuffs – is that a joke or another fetish? Your comment leaves me thinking that you feel that a graphic for human rights abuses should be, say, a pink fluffy unicorn versus, say, an actual picture of human rights abuses.

6. Takuan says:

Joshua, you think you have the right to do anything you want to anybody, whenever and however you please. This means we can’t talk.

7. Takuan says:

this should be good

8. Teresa Nielsen Hayden / Moderator says:

Joshua, when your old writing teacher taught you to write in an exploratory spirit, he or she didn’t think you’d be using it as your final draft.

9. zuzu says:

But how do you know that the friendly fellows with the hoods on are innocent?

Call me old-fashioned, but a public trial where the accused confronts their accuser, is required to determine guilt according to rule of law.

10. JoshuaTerrell says:

#18 You assume that the people in the picture have been prejudged, and that the bags over their heads are punishment.

I’m simply pointing out how media can be misrepresenting, like the picture used as an illustration for civil rights abuses that doesn’t actually depict civil rights abuses.

See my point?

11. JoshuaTerrell says:

#14 Insult me if you want, but keeping people who could possible injure or hurt you from doing just that is a pretty good idea. Why do you think police officers handcuff suspects? For the same reasons. Yes it’s scary, yes it’s mean. But hooding a suspect is a legitimate way to keep those other people in the picture, you know, the people putting their lives in harms way for of you, from getting hurt.

#15 How do you know that? That’s speculation. From what I’ve said, all I believe is that in a war zone, soldiers in the line of duty sometimes have to take steps to insure the safety of themselves and their comrades, and sometimes this is at the expense of the comfort of people who might possibly be trying to kill them.

#16 You still handcuff and shackle prisoners who have been accused of violent crimes don’t you? These suspects also occasionally are forced to wear humiliating orange jumpsuits. Are you saying that we should treat all suspects equally, regardless of the crime they are accused of?

• Antinous says:

In the US that I live in, every suspect gets handcuffed, put in the cruiser and taken downtown, so yes. If you can’t get behind ‘innocent until proven guilty’, maybe the US is just not the right country for you.

12. JoshuaTerrell says:

#11 Apparently this universe. It keeps suspects disoriented and it limits their communication with each other. If you had a large amount of prisoners you wanted to transport in very close proximity with limited resources, the last thing you would want to do is let them talk to each other. It’s just bad security to allow it.

#12 Yes, this sort of thing happens all the time. But how do you know that the friendly fellows with the hoods on are innocent? Or that they have been subjected to this “arrested-beaten-drugged-gagged-hooded-ear-muffed-shackled-and-tied-in-a-kneeling-position” treatement? (I’ll concede that they are hooded and shackled, just to save you some time in your counter).

13. Takuan says:

walll…’cept th’ colors o’ course… a-yep.

14. JoshuaTerrell says:

@Xeni et al: Yes, I have read the UNDHR. I think it’s a very important part of the global human rights movement.

My point is this: Using a picture of properly restrained insurgents as a graphic to an article dealing with civil rights abuses directly implies that restraining prisoners in this manner is inhumane and unjust, and that it is somehow associated with the various atrocities committed in Iraq against innocent people by members of the US Armed Forces (Abu Ghraib etc. etc.). I disagree, and I think this image is misused in this context, and misrepresents the members of the US Armed Forces who are just doing their jobs correctly.

@Antinous and Teresa: I apologize if the hyperbole was a little too subtle.

15. Antinous says:

Dude,

In what nightmare universe are black hoods ‘proper restraints’? Do you live in a leather bar?

16. Takuan says:

“insurgents”? Many of those arrested, beaten,drugged, gagged,hooded, ear-muffed,shackled and tied in a kneeling position for agonizing hours proved to be total innocents sold for an American “terrorist” bounty by local gangsters. Insurgents? Yes,now they are.