Craft magazine recently released the fun book, Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting, by artist, roboticist, and teacher Syuzi Pakhchyan. Syuzi shows you how to make truly chic wearable technology, interactive toys, and other things using conductive smart materials and electronic components. The all-color book is filled with large photos and the instructions are clearly written so that people who know nothing about electronics can make the projects.
Check out the online sampler.
Among the projects:
* LED Bracelet: move over "jewel-encrusted," because now there's "LED-encrusted." Simple and easy, this accessory filled with "techno-sequins" will let you stand out in any fashion-loving crowd.
* Solar Crawler: magically translating the sun's invisible rays into song, this pull-toy will fascinate both children and adults alike.
* Space Invaders Tote: featuring an ambient light signal, this bag can remarkably alert you when you receive an incoming phone call.
* Photochromic Blinds: supplementing conventional inks with photochromic inks create patterns that appear and disappear when a UV light source, such as the sun, is removed, giving your blinds a life of their own!
* Luminescent Table: this table features a decorative pattern coated with a phosphorescent ink. The pattern absorbs sunshine during the day and emits light at night. It doesn't require any electricity and can glow for up to several hours.
Fashioning Technology: A DIY Intro to Smart Crafting
This beautiful collection of all twenty paintings, and eight drawings, assigned to Hieronymus Bosch, may be replacing the Codex Seraphinianus on my coffee table for a bit. These surreal masterpieces by Netherlandish artist Jheronimus van Aken, better known as Hieronymus Bosch, are reproduced beautifully, on lovely paper, and are thoughtfully arranged. Some pieces, such as […]
Is “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” actually about psychedelic drugs, British colonialism, or penis envy? Depends who you ask. At the BBC, Hephzibah Anderson surveys 150 years of weird readings of Lewis Carroll’s classic book. From Anderson’s essay: Re-examining the text, critics found plenty of gynaecological imagery, from the rabbit hole itself to the curtain that […]
If you are anything like me, at all, you frequently wonder what happened next to Jack Burton and the rest of the Big Trouble in Little China gang? John Carpenter, Eric Powell, and Brian Churilla’s Big Trouble in Little China graphic novels tell the tale! I’ve just started reading these BTiLC graphic novels, they pick […]
Experienced shutterbugs with DSLR cameras have boatloads of lens options for capturing the moment. Unfortunately, smartphone photographers often get stuck with their one crummy lens, which means limited zoom and focus for their final image.Step up your smartphone’s photographic power with the Acesori 5-Piece Smartphone Camera Lens Kit, now just $9.99 in the Boing Boing Store.Magnetic rings easily […]
Some truths are universal. For one, your phone will always run out of power when you most need it. For another, the charging cords that come packaged with your Apple device will fray, split, and rip faster than Usain Bolt in a game of tag.Instead, pick up a charging cord that anyone would have a tough […]
Some people say magic tricks are nerdy and best left to your 12-year-old asthmatic cousin. But others see value in perfecting the slight of hand and showmanship associated with a perfectly executed routine. We’re firmly in the latter camp. And now, we’re giving you the ability to put a few parlor tricks up your sleeve with the Penguin […]