16 Responses to “Kenyan cowboy shirts -- Stetson-cut shirts made in Kenya from second-hand clothes”

1. wolfiesma says:

Well, think about it this way. The guy is bringing money into the local economy. I’m sure he pays the models he works with. And he no doubt spends the money he makes locally. So, its good all around. But most importantly, these shirts are amazing and the model does them a great deal of justice. A sweet mashup.

2. Pantograph says:

If these were made in the rural US, would you have asked for a portion of the proceeds to go towards the rehabilitation of meth addicts?

3. Pantograph says:

@#13 There you go again tarring an entire continent with the same brush. Kenya is one of the more stable nations in Africa. There has been some unrest in recent years, but nothing compared to say, Brazil.

Now here is somebody doing what Africans have been asking the West for over a decade, actually investing in Africa, providing jobs, partnering with the locals, and on top of that proving that recycled clothes don’t have to look like they’ve been dug out of the trash.
    Unless someone comes up with tangible evidence that he is running a sweatshop, I think we should applaud this company. Although personally, I would never wear one of those shirts.

4. PukeBazooka says:

Looks like a great idea; here’s hoping that the work/time costs of getting each unique garment listed on their website doesn’t make things impractical in the long run. Seems like one of the few things I’ve seen in a while that’s actually really well suited for a brick and mortar retail store. I imagine that when inventory starts to build up, it would be hard to list every individual garment online, while a large selection of unique garments would be easier for customers to parse in real life.

I could be completely wrong. I wonder how much inventory secondhand/vintage clothes retailers typically post online at any one time. Not something I’m really familiar with, as I don’t shop for much in the way of clothes at all.

Anyway, great idea and I wish them the best of luck.

5. EH says:

I’m with #1. With a story like that the price should have some accounting.

6. international harvester says:

Yeah, I was kind of expecting these shirts to benefit some sort of African clean water initiative, or a school…or something?

very cool

8. Connie H. says:

They’d probably do just as well on E-Bay — I know that Indian dressmakers offer custom-made clothes there!

9. international harvester says:

If the rural US had the highest infant mortality rate, highest HIV infection rate, lowest life expectancy, was overrun by brutal militias, etc. etc. etc. then yes I would like to see anyone profiting off of that community to offer SOMETHING back. This guy is offering nothing. Not even a token percentage of sales…NOTHING. That to me is a bit more demeaning than giving some $$ to the community he’s profiting from.

“#1,#5,#6 It’s sad that no story about Africa can be complete without these sort of remarks.

Now we can argue over the fashion sense of the creators, but please do not turn this automatically into a charity case. It is demeaning.”

10. Jaan says:

$75 each ($60 usd)…I wonder how much the people who actually make them get?

11. vespabelle says:

$75 for a handcrafted shirt is not bad, especially since there will be variations in material that make it difficult to be as efficient as a factory making 100s or 1000s of the same item.

12. herald says:

I have to admit, I normally just ignore stuff like this, but it they look fun.

13. franko says:

what a great idea. they are too expensive for me, but i wish i could buy one.

14. Fred Rated says:

Yeah, each shirt tells a story and they all start like this… “Once upon a time, in the magical land of Not-Getting-Any, a single guy committed the irredeemable fashion faux pas of assuming Kenyan Cowboy was a reasonable strategy for attracting the ladies.”

I think they’re beautiful, in a masculine kind of way. I’d buy one for my husband, but the ones in his size are all out already. For the kind of person who only drinks fair-trade coffee and tries to reuse and recycle everything, and seeks to avoid everything in their closet being from a Chinese sweatshop, this is full of win.

16. western mens says:

this is great..i like the design..
    And their western shirts are beautiful and unique..