Afghanistan: Peace Through Accordions

19 Responses to “Afghanistan: Peace Through Accordions”

1. daemonsquire says:

This journaccordianalist tells the story of Ahmad Zahir in last season’s Pop Music episode of Radio Lab, worth a listen.

Not surprising, really. The harmonium is a very popular — might even say traditional, by now — instrument in those parts.

And an accordian is really just a marching harmonium.

3. randee says:

A perfect example of a wonderful thing. Thank you for posting!

If “This American Life” doesn’t snap it up and expand it into a piece for a future episode, I’ll be very surprised.

4. Takuan says:

hey, when you’ve got that much you just stand downwind of the bonfire.

5. Takuan says:

the amazing thing about the Afghans is that they will probably still tolerate if not welcome visitors from the lands of their invaders. Just as they will never, never, never stop trying to kill anyone in their land by force. The only way to defeat the Afghans is to kill them all. Although I have never been there, I am quite sure of this.
    One day I hope to see them left in peace to make their own destiny. I suppose anyone working on alternate energy is an agent towards this.

6. pinehead says:

That was a cool little video. I don’t think Gregory Warner’s singing is going to overshadow Johnny Cash anytime soon, but it looks like he had a fun adventure in Afghanistan.

7. Beanolini says:

Anyone who thinks that an accordion is too bulky for travel might like to consider a miniature child’s accordion. Some musician friends of mine keep one in the glovebox of their car so they can entertain each other on long journeys.

English concertinas are also ideal travel instruments (apart from being rather expensive); they’re similarly small.

8. Agent 86 says:

Spring for a full sized, the kid’s accordion is a toy, and about as musical as a kazoo. I have one and it’s fun, but I wouldn’t bring it out to play Rhapsody in Blue.

9. Agent 86 says:

Learning the accordion should be a travel tip for Americans, right next to claiming they are Canadian.

10. V says:

Back off! I have an accordion, and I’m not afraid to use it!

11. dbarak says:

Sounds like a job for StupidPunMan!

Everyone involved should get together and hammer out a set of Camp David Peace Accordions.

12. aelfscine says:

Who wants peace in Afghanistan? Not us, that’s for sure.

13. arkizzle says:

Aelfscine, who’s “us”?

14. dbarak says:

@ ARKIZZLE:

Opium farmers?

15. arkizzle says:

DBarak: Oh, I didn’t get the memo.. I guess I should be out tending my crop :)

16. Takuan says:

All you have to do is buy their crops and burn them. Then their families don’t starve, 90% of the world’s heroin supply vanishes and the WaronSomeDrugs Industry takes a huge hit in profitability.

17. dbarak says:

@ ARKIZZLE:

At least you’re a productive member of society. ;)

18. Mycroft says:

That was great.

19. arkizzle says:

Takuan, burn them in pipes?