My first experience with a real writer was when Judith Merril was the writer in residence at the Merril Collection (then called The Spaced Out Library). Judy read and critiqued my manuscripts and mentored and tutored me, and inspired me to be a writer. The collection is the largest public sf/f reference collection in the world -- you can get lost in the stacks for days.
There's one week left to apply for the position -- this is quite an opportunity!
Eligibility Criteria:PDF Link
• Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
• Minimum of five novels or short story collections of science fiction, fantasy or horror, published by a professional publishing house
• Active in the writing profession
• Experience in teaching creative writing
• Intend to work on a new project, normally intended for book-length publication
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.