21 Responses to “Veeps: Profiles in Insignificance, a look at the bumbling, murdering, drunken idiots (and others) who've served as vice-president of the USA”

1. Ugly Canuck says:

I mean, I am tired of startling my fellow diners.

2. Takuan says:

what a slimy little bastard.. “you wouldn’t hang a cripple!”

3. Talia says:

I enjoy those quotes from Truman. Sounds like he was quite a character.

4. Ugly Canuck says:

Were not Truman’s political teeth cut in 1930s Kansas City?
    In the 30s, KC was a place where you could not be hired as a cop unless you had previously served time (as a prisoner) in the state pen…talk about a corrupt polity! That’s KC in the 1930s.
    OTOH that place and era did give us some great music, like Count Basie’s stuff.
    Almost kinda like Renaissance Italy, where corrupt politics can serve to ‘mid-wife’ great art, and produce great and colorful characters.

5. Bevatron Repairman says:

@5: Yes, the Pendergast Machine. I don’t know where I recall reading it, but apparently Robert Heinlein was the only fellow appointed by the Pendergast Machine to the Naval Academy who actually graduated.

6. Ugly Canuck says:

thanx bevatron, here’s a link:
    I had not known the Pendergast name…Ready-Mix, it says. Kinda like “privatization” leading to cronies getting the Gov. contracts and $$.
    I note too that these guys were selling & controlling the booze in KC during Prohibition. An odd echo of ‘popular & populist’ Columbian/ghetto “drug lords”?

7. RagManX says:

I thought I’d first heard about this book here on BB. I read this and read many parts of it again because it was so fascinating. Makes me want to learn more about these people and blog about some of them. Hmmmmmm. Inspiration.

8. BennyMcBenBen says:

“…corrupt Marylanders…” Hey! There was only one Marylander VP. I resent that.

9. AMusingFool says:

I just thought I’d point out that Jefferson’s financial failings were not totally his own fault. He inherited significant debt (along with significant land, it is true) from his father, of which he never did get rid. He also would have done much better financially to be president today. Back then, he had to pay for the state dinners out of his own pocket. Too bad we couldn’t get W to do the same; that would have given us one positive thing to say about him.

10. J4rH34d says:

Bill is a cow orker of mine. He’s as snarky in conversation as he is in the book.

Check out his blob at http://veeps.us

11. Orky says:

Dick Cheney: When travelling, Vice President Cheney demands that his his hotel suites…have all televisions preset to Fox News Channel.

I don’t think I have to add anything to this.

12. Roy Trumbull says:

I believe it was Coolidge who said, “If you don’t say nothin, no one can ask you to repeat it.”

13. tomrigid says:

Nary a soul hath put pen to page with half the slicing wit of Wayne Shellabarger, whose collection of poster art (“I’m Totally Helpless”) I drag out whenever I most need to laugh, or whenever my positive opinion of human nature gets too far out of hand.

Yes, Truman was a product of a corrupt political machine, he was also elected by one of the most racist voters in the North.

Yet when he had power he constantly fought for working people and minorities. He was a champion of real Americans of all kinds. It is counter intuitive for this to be the case but it is.

Read about him & you will see a great man who faced great challenges with a tough no nonsense style that put us first.

15. UncommonSense says:

Dick Cheney has riders? He’s a rockstar!

16. Ugly Canuck says:

Indeed, Anon, it would be difficult to be a champion of unreal Americans, of any kind.
    P.S.: I take this opportunity to wish a Happy Inauguration Day to our great neighbours to the South, and to express my hope that the new Administration shall be wise and just in all of its doings, and that its undertakings on behalf of the well-being of all Americans may prosper.

17. Brainspore says:

Dick Cheney: When traveling, Vice President Cheney demands that his his hotel suites…have all televisions preset to Fox News Channel.

You’d think after a while it would get annoying to hear that echo every time he said anything.

18. travelina says:

What a portrait of Coolidge: “a grim, determined, alert inactivity,” and dining alone with his face to the wall!

19. Ugly Canuck says:

“Coolidge would eat lunch alone at a corner table in the Senate dining room, facing the wall.”
    Brilliant!
    Now why haven’t I thought of that?

20. Takuan says: