10 Responses to “BB Video: Photographer Glen E. Friedman in Conversation (and Collaboration) with Shepard Fairey”

1. misterdna says:

@ Zeni #2: Yes it’s true. I actually thought I was going on tour with HR about 7 years ago (my friends were his backing band for his previous tour), but things changed, and Bad Brains ended up going back on tour instead. HR came over to the house for a few jams a couple of years ago:
    (not a good pic of us, but it’s evidence I highly value).
    BTW, I’m pretty damn happy to get a “GTFO” from you!

2. Xeni Jardin says:

@#3 kaosdevice, omg i can’t believe you were there — what an amazing story. I’m so glad the guy ended up okay. How frightening!

I witnessed lot of close calls like that myself over the years, and sustained scars at shows personally. Nothing as bad as that, though. That poor guy!

The one I remember the most involved skating through a bed of broken beer bottles right in front of a stage — on my hands. I can’t believe I still have ‘em working well enough to type this, after that, ridiculous. could have been a lot worse.

I think I was wrapped in an invisible force field of protection during those years. I don’t want to find out if it still works.

And yeah, I think the Brains, particularly in those early days, are one of the best live bands ever.

3. raquefella says:

cllbrtn? S Fry’s ff th jckng mg trn nd skng fr prmssn nw? Wht’s ths wrld cmng t?

4. illflux says:

“Th frst pnk shw vr sw ws th Bd Brns lv (s mntnd n ystrdy’s gst DJ spt n KCRW!)”

s thr vr Xn pst whr sh dsn’t brng hrslf nt t smhw? Xn, t’s nt bt y!!!

5. martha_macarthur says:

It’s not where you take things from, it’s where you take them to.
    –Jean-luc Godard

6. cecilhayduke says:

New respect for Xeni for knowing about the ROIR cassette only classic. Was present for their riot in Hollywood (mid ’82, I believe) and saw them in DC at the Roxy (a reggae/go go club that had a few punk gigs). Missed Dr. Know when Mos Def decided at the last minute not to bring the actual Black Jack Johnson Project to San Diego (pisses me off almost as much as the crappy poetry he presented on HBO). Definitely the most powerful band in the history of the world.

7. misterdna says:

As a graphic artist who grew up in Dogtown, I’m so damn jealous of these two artist!

Thankfully, I’ve gotten to play music with HR (of Bad Brains).

8. Xeni Jardin says:

#1 GTFO! No way!

9. kaosdevice says:

I actually was at the show in Lawrence, KS where HR bashed the kid in the head, who was someone I knew and happened to be standing a few feet from me. The place emptied quickly and in the alley behind the bar the guitarist told a few of us that we had seen the last Brains show. Obviously that didn’t happen, but I was torn between being sad that may have been the last show and concern over the guy I knew that got hit. HR brought the base of the mikestand down on the kid’s head like a battleaxe. (Sidenote: His name was Mike and we harrassed him with the nickname ‘I against Mike’ for quite some time after that, he was ok but had a hell of a scar and a story.)

10. diziet_sma says:

Bad Brains are possibly the best live band I’ve ever seen.