Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman’s Co-Creator Joe Shuster

16 Responses to “Secret Identity: The Fetish Art of Superman’s Co-Creator Joe Shuster”

1. nanuq says:

I thought Wonder Woman was the one with the bondage fetish. No wonder she and Superman got along so well in the comics.

2. rosdoc says:

I live on a new street in Toronto named Joe Shuster Way in honour of you know who. I thought it was pretty cool when I moved here to live on a street named after one of Superman’s creators. And now it’s even cooler to be living here!

3. celia says:

God knows I’ve never been angrily cracking a whip at a bound man with no nipples, so perhaps I shouldn’t judge, but I’m pretty sure my body doesn’t have that…extra bit around the chest/shoulder area. It looks as though her left breast is a prosthetic slung over her shoulder.

BoingBoing should consider labeling its links that are pointed toward Amazon. Thanks to that link, Amazon will be recommending all kinds of fetish products to me next time I visit their site. I would rather be Rick Rolled.

5. DonoMan says:

The mysterious line around the babe’s left shoulder looks to me to be a vertical bikini strap. (In the 1950s, I’m guessing most bikinis were not of the tube top variety.)

As a comic book reader, I think the statement about changing how Lois, Clark, and Jimmy are viewed is not just hyperbole. It isn’t just that the same artist also drew some erotica, but that his erotica contains those characters. The cover art sure looks a lot to me like Lois Lane of that era whipping Clark Kent.

Now, if I could see Mary Jane in leather whipping Spider Man. Oh yeah.

6. Jane Kansas says:

@#1 I agree. It looks like it was a way to make some money – a gig, same as any other. No biggie.

7. JoshuaZ says:

This isn’t news. Every knows that Lois Lane and Superman kept a bit of kryptonite around for when he was bottom. In fact, given their personalities I’m must wonder if Superman was always the bottom.

The reviewer MUST have had a double entendre in mind when wrote the words “erotic artwork by the most seminal artist in comics”.

9. Halloween Jack says:

I wouldn’t say that this would “change the perception of the way we look at Clark Kent, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, and Jimmy Olsen forever.” Not that it’s not interesting, but it’s pretty common knowledge that some pretty famous cartoonists did fetish or glamour art on the q.t. Now, if you turn up any nudes that Jack Kirby did…

10. Brainspore says:

Any student of interstellar biology can tell you that Kryptonians don’t HAVE nipples (or at least not where you would guess).

11. Antinous / Moderator says:

I never did understand that men-with-no-nipples fetish.

12. noen says:

Why is it surprising that all coins have a verso? I wonder what Superman’s kink is, humiliation? On your knees slave!

What the heck is that line coming over her left shoulder and down to her breast? Is this perhaps part of a vegetable promotion, sort of a “find the hidden eggplant” series?

14. Antinous / Moderator says:

You have read Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex, neh?

15. Marcel says:

Aw shucks! Now I’m gonna have to buy me a coffee table.

16. Rictor says:

Okay, I need this book. Awesome.