Gareth in no-man's land

15 Responses to “Gareth in no-man's land”

1. psug says:

Remember, Gar – If you run out of material, up there on the cyberStage, Kata says “Plagerism saves time.”

2. Gareth Branwyn says:

“Plagiarism: It was OUR idea.”

“Plagiarism: A collective vision.”

3. David Pescovitz says:

I’d like to note that Gareth was an integral part of the bOING bOING print ‘zine predating even my involvement! He was an inspiration to me long before I had the privilege of calling him my pal. Also, Gar’s 1997 book “Jamming The Media” was way ahead of its time.

4. eustace says:

Fresh meat! Assuming that the saying applies outside of meatspace…

5. Gareth Branwyn says:

“Plagiarism: It was OUR idea.”

“Plagiarism: A collective vision.”

6. Joel Johnson says:

Yay! Hi Gareth!

Gareth > Awesomeness! Yea!

8. Gareth Branwyn says:

You’re some kind o’ sweet, David.

Re: Jamming the Media
    I like how, in the pirate radio section (I think), I posit that, if you want to get your DJ jones out but don’t want to run afoul of FCC goons in Chevy Suburbans, instead of broadcasting, you could record your shows in that newfangled MP3 format all the kids are talking about and post them onto your web page for people to download. Voila! Radio shows over the web! What a concept. (And no, I’m not suggesting I was the only person thinking this at the time, I just think it’s funny, in retrospect, given how huge podcasting has become.)

9. ab5tract says:

“So, let the sex, drugs, rock n’ roll, black magick, and collaborative mail art begin!”

Man, I’ve been waiting a while for someone to officially and explicitly endorse my off screen behavior here on bb.

Bring on the cajoles!

10. ridl says:

¡Bienvenidos!

11. arkizzle says:

Roll on Gareth!

12. jpixl says:

Awesome, Gar, looking forward to it!

13. ROSSINDETROIT says:

Hey, Gareth. Welcome (back) to bOING bOING. May your tenure here be fruitful.
    Regarding that project we discussed a while back to add a remote control with a half mile range to a Bang & Olufsen turntable, I’m just about bored enough to finish that now. Not because I care any more about skipping Stairway to Heaven from 400 yards away, but just because.

14. Stefan Jones says:

One of the poo-bahs of mail art — Ray Johnson — lived a few blocks from where I grew up. Same street address, different street.

We would occasional get his junk mail. He, one several occasions, got kookie naive mail art that my sister and her cousin exchanged. Johnson would forward it in an envelope decorated with his rabbit character. He probably got a kick out of seeing tweener girls innocently indulging in his life work.

15. Gareth Branwyn says:

I actually have some mail art exchanged with Ray Johnson. It’s probably worth real money now!

@ROSSINDETROIT
    As the Situationists like to say: “Boredom is counter-revolutionary.” Do it! (And I’ll blog the project on MAKE).

And thanks for all the welcome, folks. The card and letters are pouring in. I’m just hoping to get propositioned in the deal.